none
Kinect V2 detected in device manager but not in any programs/binaries such as kinect studio RRS feed

• Question

• I just got my kinect v2 today. Could not have been more excited to play with it!! Unfortunately I can't for the life of me get it to work. I really appreciate if those with a V2 could offer your input. THANKS!

I have a lenovo w520 and windows 8.1 and have installed KinectSDK-v2.0-PublicPreview1407-Setup.exe.

I have my kinect v2 plugged into the USB 3.0 port on my computer. The kinect's power brick has the white led glowing.

When I plug it in, the device manager recognizes it as both "KinectSensor Device" with "WDF KinectSensor Interface 0" underneath that.

And in "Audio inputs and outputs" there is also "Microphone Array (Xbox NUI Sensor" Still, when I load up the example binaries included in the SDK they all say "Kinect not availible!"

Following the troubleshooting guide, "KinectService" should be running as a windows service after you install the SDK. It is not. The only service I see is "KinectMonitor." Additionally, none of these things are happening either:

"The the three red LEDs on the Kinect sensor should be lit." - not happening.

"The Kinect sensor should appear in Device Manager as the following nodes under Kinect for Windows: Kinect for Windows Audio Array Control, Kinect for Windows Camera, and Kinect for Windows Security Control. The Kinect sensor's microphone array will appear under Sound, video and game controllers in Device Manager as: Kinect for Windows USB Audio." - not happening.

Thanks again.

Friday, July 18, 2014 5:11 PM

Answers

All replies

• If you don't have KinectService running, and you don't even see it inside the Services control panel application, then I'd suggest re-installing the SDK. Make sure you run the install as an administrator.

I don't have a newer device, mine still is named exactly like yours in the Device Manager. It could be that this is the name from the beta preview we're seeing and the documentation is being prepared for the final release. I wouldn't sweat the device manager name just yet. It just lets you know something is out of sync - my bet would be the documentation.

Sr. Enterprise Architect | Trainer | Consultant | MCT | MCSD | MCPD | SharePoint TS | MS Virtual TS |Windows 8 App Store Developer | Linux Gentoo Geek | Raspberry Pi Owner | Micro .Net Developer | Kinect For Windows Device Developer |blog: http://dgoins.wordpress.com

Friday, July 18, 2014 8:17 PM
  • According to the data sheet : http://www.lenovo.com/shop/americas/content/pdf/system_data/w520_tech_specs.pdf

that system does not meet the minimum GPU requirement of an Intel 4000. It lists it as a Intel 2000M, which is DX10.1.

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033757.htm - 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ Processors

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Monday, July 21, 2014 6:12 PM
  • Hi there,

I have a very similar problem. 

Everything is the same as above, only one reference under "Kinect Sensor device" > "WDF KinectSensor Interface 0" and under audio > "Microphone array (2 - Xbox NUI sensor)" both appear in the device manager.  None of the other troubleshooting referenced device listings appear. 

I see the Kinect service, 3 in fact. KinectMonitor.exe, Kinect Service.exe, and KinectHostService.exe.

The three LED are glowing (but very faintly).  White light on the right is glowing brightly.  Power supply light also glowing white. 

When I start the Kinect Studio, it displays on the top left "no connection".

My machine is running Windows 8.1 pro, on a bootcamped iMac with Geforce 660M (DX11 compatible) video card 16GB of RAM that meets all the requirements except for CPU. The CPU is a i5 2.9GHZ.  (this machine is a fresh install. Windows 8 and Kinect SDK are the only things on the computer)

Is it not running because of the slight CPU underrating?  Does the Kinect v2 only work with an I7 or is something else not working?

thanks

• Edited by Moleculator Friday, July 25, 2014 10:43 PM typos
    Friday, July 25, 2014 10:41 PM
  • That CPU's fine. The "minimum" is really just a suggestion. I'm running fine on a 3.4GHz i5 desktop and a 1.7GHz i5 surface pro.

Per the release notes, make sure you download the latest drivers from Nvidia (i.e., NOT the ones provided by Windows update). That'll probably fix it. If not, then your in my boat...a seemingly fine PC with no means of debugging compatibility issues (and a development team that seems to have gone MIA, making me very nervous).

Paul T. York, Ph.D. Computer and Information Sciences Georgia Regents University

Friday, July 25, 2014 11:39 PM
  • same issue, running MacBook pro late 2011 17".

similar driver lists. no lights on kinect

AND

every time I try to run the Kinect configuration verifier it crashes every time...

Monday, October 6, 2014 8:10 PM
  • That CPU's fine. The "minimum" is really just a suggestion. I'm running fine on a 3.4GHz i5 desktop and a 1.7GHz i5 surface pro.

Per the release notes, make sure you download the latest drivers from Nvidia (i.e., NOT the ones provided by Windows update). That'll probably fix it. If not, then your in my boat...a seemingly fine PC with no means of debugging compatibility issues (and a development team that seems to have gone MIA, making me very nervous).

Paul T. York, Ph.D. Computer and Information Sciences Georgia Regents University

The point is, that requirement is DX11 capable accelerator. Does not matter if it is Intel Baytrail Atom or AMD SoC Athlons but as far as I know you need compute shader 5.0 suppport, which DX10 cards cannot provide no matter their performance.

It may be worth to check USB3 controller chip - not all of them work with Kinect 2. see http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/bb379e8b-4258-40d6-92e4-56dd95d7b0bb/confirmed-list-of-usb-30-pcie-cardslaptopsconfigurations-which-work-for-kinect-v2-during?forum=kinectv2sdk

• Edited by Jan Marcincin Tuesday, October 7, 2014 7:26 AM link added
    Tuesday, October 7, 2014 7:23 AM