none
RNDIS without ActiveSync RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

is it possible to use RNDIS function drivers without ActiveSync to communicate with a connected computer?

I am able to connect WM6.x devices to computer with ActiveSync disabled and Advanced networking enabled. I'm able to get IP address and even to ping all hosts on local network from the device. However, if I try to access the web server on the connected computer (or any web page)  by using web browser, I get "Cannot connect with current connection settings".

I have tried numerous connection settings with no luck. I would like to know if it's possible to do this at all or if I'm just wasting my time... Somehow it all seems very promising because of the success with pinging, but I have now spent two weeks trying to figure this out, so I'm not too optimistic.

Any help is really appreciated, thank you very much.

P.S. I'm not really sure if this is the right forum, because I'm not actually developing platform. I'm just trying to get network connection to work without ActiveSync.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 5:23 PM

All replies

• Seems like you are almost there.  There are two things that you may need to consider:

1. DNS server - with a DNS server properly set up, using named devices will not work.
    2. Connection sharing - To you PC, you now have two NICs, you may need to set up connection sharing so that your WM device can get from its network to you LAN.

[Update] Just re read you information, looks like you have connection sharing working.

Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman

Eurotech Inc.
    www.Eurotech.com

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 5:53 PM
  • Hi Bruce,

I can't get any TCP/IP messages transferred even by using the plain ip address, so lack of DNS is probably not the issue. It seems that Internet Explorer on my device doesn't even try to send those packets - none are coming through to PC. In contrast, all the "pinged" packets are going back and forth without problems.

I would be happy enough if could transfer TCP/IP packets between just the device and the PC, no need to access the internet really.

I too really feel like I'm almost there, but... So can you confirm this scenario really is possible with the correct settings? Can I transfer TCP/IP packets by using RNDIS without ActiveSync?

Thank you!

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 6:39 PM
  • It could be a connection manager setting, as default setting only route to WiFi, DTPT (ActiveSync) or WWAN (3G or so), you may need to play around the connection manager to add one more network adaptor (the RNDIS)

Here are some relative information http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb737605.aspx

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 6:45 PM
  • It could be a connection manager setting, as default setting only route to WiFi, DTPT (ActiveSync) or WWAN (3G or so), you may need to play around the connection manager to add one more network adaptor (the RNDIS)

Here are some relative information http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb737605.aspx

Hi KMOS,

I actually tried to play with connection manager before, but since I'm not too familiar with it, I might have done something wrong. But I too believe this issue might have something do with it. I will try play with it some more.

Well, I only copied that snipped below from the link above so this is not how I would really do it, but anyway...So if I add it like this:

<characteristic type="CM_NetEntries">
          <characteristic type="Adapter Name">
             <parm name="DestId" value="{A1182988-0D73-439e-87AD-2A5B369F808B}"></parm>
             <parm name="Adapter" value="NDIS Adapter Qualified Name"></parm>
             <parm name="Desc.Default" value="Network Card Description"></parm>
          </characteristic>
    </characteristic>

Am I then able to list it with ConnMgrQueryDetailedStatus or some other related native function? Or is there any other ways to confirm that the adapter is really added somewhere so that it can be accessed?

Thank you so much.

• Edited by Mr Saito Tuesday, February 21, 2012 7:40 PM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 7:35 PM
  • The ConnMgrEnumDestinations (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb416535.aspx) and other connection manager API should provide some hints.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 7:48 PM