Shapes on top of shapes RRS feed

• Question

• I have a series of shapes that represent the walls of a building.

I need to place shapes over them to represent the doors etc in the building.

I draw all the shapes first and colour them to match the building texture and colours.

When I add the opening shape it will only appear in front of the first shape I drew then goes behing the rest.

Is there a way of keeping a shape in front like zorder in VB6.

Thanks for any help.

Mac

Mac

• Moved by Ryan MoldenMicrosoft employee Wednesday, June 27, 2012 2:34 PM Nothing to do with extensibility, moving to VB forum due to mention of VB6 (though the actual language being used in the question was never mentioned) (From:Visual Studio Extensibility)
    Wednesday, June 27, 2012 4:43 AM

Answers

• Problem Solved

The shapes will layer themselves in the order they were created not the order they are loaded at runtime.

I have deleted some shapes and then recreated them and now they appear as they should.

Mac

Mac

• Proposed as answer by Mark Liu-lxf Thursday, June 28, 2012 3:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mark Liu-lxf Wednesday, July 4, 2012 9:26 AM
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 1:28 AM

All replies

• I have a series of shapes that represent the walls of a building.

This was posted in a VB Express Edition Forum

Language   VB 2010   Express Edition

I need to place shapes over them to represent the doors etc in the building.

I draw all the shapes first and colour them to match the building texture and colours.

When I add the opening shape it will only appear in front of the first shape I drew then goes behing the rest.

Is there a way of keeping a shape in front like zorder in VB6.

Thanks for any help.

Mac

Mac

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 9:08 PM
  • Problem Solved

The shapes will layer themselves in the order they were created not the order they are loaded at runtime.

I have deleted some shapes and then recreated them and now they appear as they should.

Mac

Mac

• Proposed as answer by Mark Liu-lxf Thursday, June 28, 2012 3:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mark Liu-lxf Wednesday, July 4, 2012 9:26 AM
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 1:28 AM
  • You should not rely on the default ordering of the shapes.  Each shape object should be an instance of a class that contains all the information needed to correctly render that shape.  In your case, that includes an order (or layer) value.   You can assign a default for that value using the order in which they were created, but it is then used to explicitly control the sequence used for rendering.  You will need to add a utility to change the layer value for a shape, in case the user changes their mind or, as in your example, if the shapes are being recovered from some other source, such as a temporary store, where the order in which they are retrieved cannot be controlled.
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 2:02 AM