Debug historic VSO host builds RRS feed

• Question

• hello,

i am new to VSO and trying to understand the benefits of VSO.  one of which is the ability to retain multiple builds of my website on the remote server.

is there an easy way to debug one of the host builds (listed in Build Explorer) using the F5 debug command so that the website hosted build solution appears on my laptop localhost browser?

thanks!

• Edited by desertchief Saturday, July 11, 2015 9:11 AM EDIT: changed Title to better describe problem.
    Saturday, June 20, 2015 8:11 PM

All replies

• Hi usphilos,

Thanks for posting here.

I suggest you to check this article for details.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/cloud-services-continuous-delivery-use-vso/

Also, I believe its a similar issue which was posted on 2014

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/62003409-992c-4588-8734-f26da35814ed/queueing-a-build-from-another-build-in-tfs-2013-permissions?forum=tfsversioncontrol

Let us know if this helps.

In the meanwhile, I will involve the experts from VSO team.

Girish Prajwal

Sunday, June 21, 2015 5:46 PM
  • i am not using Azure or TFS.

i created a new website on VSO and tried using TFVC.  By default, 10 builds are retained.  i would like to debug any one of those builds on my local machine.

i am also testing out the Git option with a different test website.  i have the same question.  how do i debug a previous build (using VS2013 F5) and Git?

Sunday, June 21, 2015 10:36 PM
  • Hi Usphilos,

TFS is an on premise build once we upload the build  to the cloud then you can get the same TFS build in the cloud know as VSO.

Refer  link: VSO vs TFS

I recommend you to try the following steps:

log into VS2013->  Team Explorer->click connect to Team project->select the team project from the server

Then you can connected  to team project

Source control Explorer->click new to create new project in solutions->right click on the project->select Check in pending changes. 

write some comment->click Check-in

Then u can see the updated build in VSO

Regards,

Tuesday, June 23, 2015 11:32 AM
  • thank you for the detailed message.

i am able see all those builds in Build Manager in VSO.  that is not my problem.

my question is: now that i have all these historic builds.  how do i use them?

i would like to go back in time, to see an old build run on my local machine's localhost browser using the VS2013 F5 (debug) command.  this will enable me to confirm that i might want to go back in time to the code base used to create that older build.

i hope this clarifies my question.  let me know.

• Edited by desertchief Tuesday, June 23, 2015 11:16 PM
    Tuesday, June 23, 2015 11:09 PM
  • Hi usphilos,

I would recommended you to try the following steps: it may help you

Go to solution Explorer in VS2013->select the  build->right click->View History

In the Team Explorer home page->Builds->you will get the successful builds in your local machine  which are deployed in VSO.

Regards,

Wednesday, June 24, 2015 12:54 PM
  • i do not see how this addresses the topic.

i have since moved on to using Git, but have the same question.  how do i run older host builds in a localhost browser?

Wednesday, June 24, 2015 11:08 PM
  • Hi usphilos,

Code for the respective builds are under the drop folder.

Regards,

Sunday, June 28, 2015 4:28 AM
  • ok, i found the drop folder inside the artifacts link on VSO.  now what?
    Monday, June 29, 2015 1:01 AM
  • Hi,

Share the drop folder in a Local machine, the you may able to run the hosted builds.

Please Refer the link:https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb778394.aspx,

Hope it may help you !

Regards,

Monday, June 29, 2015 12:30 PM
  • not sure that link helps.

let's say for example, i move the drop files from vso to my desktop in a folder named drop (c:\users\<username>\desktop\drop).

in vs2013 running locally, how do i use this directory to debug (F5) the historic vso files now located on the desktop? or alternatively, how do i open this historic build in a browser session?

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 6:55 AM