none
How to findout driver type RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

My WDM driver is loaded from  application using startservice() API.My device is mass storage type , we using this driver to jump functional to dfu mode. My question is How to find out driver type (Filter driver or Functional driver)? it creates entry under HLM\SYSTEM\Controlset\enum\Root\LEGACY_(Drivername) when i install driver.

Ranjith

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 1:19 PM

Answers

• Your role is per stack, not at the driver level. Regardless, filter or functional drivers are pnp drivers and are not installed or started through StartService, they are installed through an inf. In your dfu case, you would have one HW id and in the filter mass storage case, another HW id you match against in the inf. Each HW id match can write different settings to the devnode that the driver can read to differentiate role. Or write two drivers

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 1:40 PM

All replies

• Your role is per stack, not at the driver level. Regardless, filter or functional drivers are pnp drivers and are not installed or started through StartService, they are installed through an inf. In your dfu case, you would have one HW id and in the filter mass storage case, another HW id you match against in the inf. Each HW id match can write different settings to the devnode that the driver can read to differentiate role. Or write two drivers

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 1:40 PM
  • Dear Doron

Thanks for your answer.  In dfu mode i am using another driver that is alredy signed, Is driver signing is must for this stack driver (win7 64bit)?
    if yes,  how to run HCK  and create inf for this type of drivers?  Please give any url link to run HCK for non pnp driver?

Ranjith

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 2:34 PM
  • yes, all drivers for a 64bit must be signed. if the DFU is for a pnp device, the DFU driver is a pnp driver as well. I am not sure why you think your DFU driver is non pnp

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 4:28 PM
  • Dear Doron

Thanks for your answer.... we are using 2 drivers to downloading firware for mass storage device. First one Non PNP driver, second one is PNP driver.  NON pnp driver is does not load by using statservice  API  , because that is unsigned driver, Hence startservice api return error in 64bit win 7 machine. Using this NON pnp driver we do functional to dfu mode. In testsigning on  mode, this driver loaded succefully using  statservice API .

second driver is pnp driver firmware downloading process done using  this  driver.This is signed  driver, installed through an inf.

My question is

1.Is anyother way is there,  to success startservice api without using  testsigning on and Reboot ?

2.How to Run HCK for NON PNP drivers ?

3.Is it possible to run HCK without creating inf file ?

4.After Signing this driver, is it possible to load driver using statservice  API?

Ranjith

Thursday, October 24, 2013 1:50 PM
  • After it is properly signed, it will load. you can also self sign and then install your cert in the machine trusted store. as for HCK, I don't know if there is a program to allow for non pnp drivers to be signed through it. you can ask on the HCK forum, http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whck/threads

Thursday, October 24, 2013 9:01 PM