Debugging Windows Runtime Component which crashes only after Beta/Store submission RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have developed a Windows Phone 8 app which uses XAML and a C/C++ Windows Runtime component. The app works fine on different test devices.  But when I submit the app to the Marketplace as Beta and install this beta using the Windows Phone Marketplace client then the app crashes immediately.

The dashboard does not show any error reports. The uploaded file is compiled in "Release" mode and does not use references to the app's GUID.

I have now started to "debug" the app by deactivating code blocks in the app, submiting the modified file to the Beta, etc. This is very cumbersome and slow (~2 hours for each Beta to be downloadable) because it's a huge project.

Are there other means to find out what causes the crash?

Regards,

Monday, March 10, 2014 4:47 PM

All replies

• Please refer to the following KB article which lists some of the known issues that would cause the published or beta app to fail.

<o:p></o:p>

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2859130/en-us

Monday, March 10, 2014 7:49 PM
  • Thanks for your answer. I already went through this article before posting my question. The problem is, that "something" seems to change in the environment between the debugging environment (e.g. when uploading a release XAP from my Windows machine) and the normal environment when downloading an app from the Marketplace. For instance, a whille ago I had an unintialized variable read in another Windows Runtime Component app which suddently made the app crash when downloaded as beta from Marketplace but worked flaweless on a set of test devices. I already ran the VS code analysis on my current project to find this kind and other possible problems.

It would be really useful to simulate this Marketplace environment during development.

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 5:40 AM