none
Fusion Explorer v2 - 3d mesh for small objects with texture RRS feed

• Question

• When I select capture color to capture 3d image of small objects, I see shadow of same object with texture behind.

Texture is not completely aligned. Shadow is covering it.

I tried various types of objects and it is same.

How can I fix this in the code ?

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 1:38 AM

All replies

• This will all depend on how the scan was taken. Because of the way depth and color are mapped, if the relocalization fails or is off there can be issues with alignment. Be sure you start and end you scans at the same point. Typically, if scanning a person, I start/end with scanning the front.  

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 4:58 PM
  • I kept camera static on the table and took 3d model of around 5 inches object.

After checking capture color in Kinetic fusion explorer, I directly clicked on Create mesh. I saw shadow on the screen and the .obj file also showed shadow when opened in 3d modeling tool.

Is this the correct way of scanning object or do I need to rotate around the object to capture 3d object ?

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 5:09 PM
  • Carmine,

Pls. ignore my previous question.

I was able to capture 3d object of size 4 x 5 inches.

But still the mesh created for this object is not  of high quality. I am trying to adjust light to get decent picture.

I have another question.

How can I use fusion explorer to rotate camera and click on "Create mesh" ?

I am able to create only one side.

I am new to Fusion explorer.

Pls. advice me.

Thanks,

Vijay

Thursday, September 11, 2014 1:04 AM
  • The only way to get higher resolutions would be to tweak the voxel count per meter. The trade-off will be the integration process may impact CPU/GPU/Memory.

The camera position is based on the first frame you capture. That will be the world representation of the mesh when you export. When you start capturing be sure to start/end at the position you wish to be the front of the model.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Friday, September 12, 2014 4:43 PM
  • I installed Brekel Point cloud Beta version and compared the output with Kinect Fusion.

Brekel generated high quality texture as compared to Fusion.

But both hide 4x5 inches toy with a shadow.

I am using GTX-745 4GB GPU, i7 processor and 16GB RAM.

I tried to align camera but unable to get rid of shadow.

How can I get rid of this shadow ?

I think this is a problem with SDK in calculating depth.

Thanks,

Vijay

Monday, September 15, 2014 1:57 PM
  • when you map color to depth there are IR shadows and known "unknown" color values that will not have data. You just need to ensure you scan the object in a way the color is averaged out.

The way fusion does depth is based on per vertex values, not a texture file. You can use external tools to improve if you wish to change.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 6:51 PM
  • How are you guys getting textures of the object exported? I am only getting the obj file even after click capture color.
    Friday, October 3, 2014 4:45 AM
  • export as ply

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Monday, October 6, 2014 6:09 PM