Confused about postings here. RRS feed

• Question

• I tried to report a bug in VS 2005.   I got some rather from someone i believe really didn't undstand the problem.

A moderator (Figo Fei - MSFT) has moved a post you made from the Visual C# IDE to the Regular Expressions. The link to your post remains the same. Post Moved

Your Post: http://forums.microsoft.com/forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1532970&SiteID=1

Every day now i keept getting some notice the message has been answered or replied to, but there is nothing new on the message thread.

Now i get some reply this morning this has been moved to the Regex discussion.  Trust me i know regex well enough the problem (if you refer to my post)  can't be fixed or addressed by a regex you'll be ablt to give me at least in a generic manor.   Receiving suggestions that i need to also write some kind of macro to work around the behavvior in VS is just missing the point.

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 5:45 PM

Answers

• I'm not trying to be harsh or insulting but perhaps you didn't make your question clear.  Hundreds of questions get asked a day on the forums.  It is hard to keep up given the # of people actively trying to answer questions.  Oftentimes what we consider to be a clear question can be taken several different ways.  For example just about any post on DataGrid will inevitably be answered as an ASP.NET/WinForms control when, in fact, the poster was writing about WinForms/ASP.NET but were not aware that there could have been some confusion.  Given the frequency with which questions are not clear and the sheer # of questions that are asked most people who respond will not take the time to read a multi-paragraph question. 

I recommend to people that you ask your question in a clear, concise manner within the first two sentences of your post.  Skip all the fluff like "My first post" and "Hope somebody can help me" because both are intuitive.  After asking the clear and concise question you can use subsequent paragraphs to clarify your question and, hopefully, provide code samples.  It is really frustrating when somebody asks a question like "Why do I get an exception opening a file" and that's it.  There are so many possible combinations that it is impossible to answer without more information.

As part of our job as moderators we have to move posts to the correct forums.  This helps keep the forums organized and helps people find what they're looking for.  It also allows the experts in the specific areas to help you better.  As a result moderators are constantly moving posts around.  Sometimes it is unclear where a posting should go.  For example the C# general forum is basically a catch-all for questions although it really shouldn't be.  Unfortunately the sheer # of posts prevents even the most dillegent moderator from keeping up so most don't bother.

As for why your posting got moved I would tend to agree with you that it should be in the IDE forum (but not necessarily the C# IDE forum).  However given that you discuss both the IDE and regex it is understandable why the moderator moved it.  A quick glance through the posting would probably pick out regex.  We all make mistakes so I wouldn't take it personal that it was moved.  Figo works for MS (hence the MSFT) and he spends a lot of time (in my opinion) going through the forums and moving things where they need to go and marking posts as answers when the original poster failed to do so.  Mistakes are inevitable so don't hold it against them. 

And no we haven't missed the point (I don't believe).  We (as in me) understand that you are frustrated by a change in functionality.  However my goal is not so much to make you feel better as it is to help you get your problem resolved now.  Do you really want to wait for MS to change the functionality again?  If you do then you'll be waiting a long time because if they ever do change it it'll be sometime after Orcas (which won't be released until 2008 from what I here).  I doubt you want to wait that long.  I have posted my suggestions in the original posting for your review.   One thing I didn't mention there but I will here is that you might want to consider switching to the //TODO: syntax for commenting out code.  For example I use //DELETE: in my code to mark blocks of code that should be removed.  The nice thing about that is that I can configure VS to add all //DELETE: lines to the Task List.  This gives me a list of code that I need to delete in the Task List (in addition to my TODOs and HACKs).  It is a really nice feature and also almost eliminates any possible regex problems you might run across. 

Be sure to post the suggestion in Connect (which is where all suggestions and bugs for VS should be placed).  If enough people vote on its importance then it will make it into a release of VS but don't get upset if it doesn't. I've had bugs reported since VS2005 betas that were never resolved.  It boils down to time and importance like it does with any project. 

And welcome to the forums.  I see that you recently joined.  Don't let this issue push you away from the forums.  The forums are (next to MSDN) the best place to get answers to questions.  It is truly amazing what people are trying to accomplish in their projects.  I'm constantly amazed at how people are using .NET to accomplish things I never even thought of.  IMHO.

Michael Taylor - 5/2/07

http://p3net.mvps.org

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 12:59 PM

All replies

• I'm not trying to be harsh or insulting but perhaps you didn't make your question clear.  Hundreds of questions get asked a day on the forums.  It is hard to keep up given the # of people actively trying to answer questions.  Oftentimes what we consider to be a clear question can be taken several different ways.  For example just about any post on DataGrid will inevitably be answered as an ASP.NET/WinForms control when, in fact, the poster was writing about WinForms/ASP.NET but were not aware that there could have been some confusion.  Given the frequency with which questions are not clear and the sheer # of questions that are asked most people who respond will not take the time to read a multi-paragraph question. 

I recommend to people that you ask your question in a clear, concise manner within the first two sentences of your post.  Skip all the fluff like "My first post" and "Hope somebody can help me" because both are intuitive.  After asking the clear and concise question you can use subsequent paragraphs to clarify your question and, hopefully, provide code samples.  It is really frustrating when somebody asks a question like "Why do I get an exception opening a file" and that's it.  There are so many possible combinations that it is impossible to answer without more information.

As part of our job as moderators we have to move posts to the correct forums.  This helps keep the forums organized and helps people find what they're looking for.  It also allows the experts in the specific areas to help you better.  As a result moderators are constantly moving posts around.  Sometimes it is unclear where a posting should go.  For example the C# general forum is basically a catch-all for questions although it really shouldn't be.  Unfortunately the sheer # of posts prevents even the most dillegent moderator from keeping up so most don't bother.

As for why your posting got moved I would tend to agree with you that it should be in the IDE forum (but not necessarily the C# IDE forum).  However given that you discuss both the IDE and regex it is understandable why the moderator moved it.  A quick glance through the posting would probably pick out regex.  We all make mistakes so I wouldn't take it personal that it was moved.  Figo works for MS (hence the MSFT) and he spends a lot of time (in my opinion) going through the forums and moving things where they need to go and marking posts as answers when the original poster failed to do so.  Mistakes are inevitable so don't hold it against them. 

And no we haven't missed the point (I don't believe).  We (as in me) understand that you are frustrated by a change in functionality.  However my goal is not so much to make you feel better as it is to help you get your problem resolved now.  Do you really want to wait for MS to change the functionality again?  If you do then you'll be waiting a long time because if they ever do change it it'll be sometime after Orcas (which won't be released until 2008 from what I here).  I doubt you want to wait that long.  I have posted my suggestions in the original posting for your review.   One thing I didn't mention there but I will here is that you might want to consider switching to the //TODO: syntax for commenting out code.  For example I use //DELETE: in my code to mark blocks of code that should be removed.  The nice thing about that is that I can configure VS to add all //DELETE: lines to the Task List.  This gives me a list of code that I need to delete in the Task List (in addition to my TODOs and HACKs).  It is a really nice feature and also almost eliminates any possible regex problems you might run across. 

Be sure to post the suggestion in Connect (which is where all suggestions and bugs for VS should be placed).  If enough people vote on its importance then it will make it into a release of VS but don't get upset if it doesn't. I've had bugs reported since VS2005 betas that were never resolved.  It boils down to time and importance like it does with any project. 

And welcome to the forums.  I see that you recently joined.  Don't let this issue push you away from the forums.  The forums are (next to MSDN) the best place to get answers to questions.  It is truly amazing what people are trying to accomplish in their projects.  I'm constantly amazed at how people are using .NET to accomplish things I never even thought of.  IMHO.

Michael Taylor - 5/2/07

http://p3net.mvps.org

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 12:59 PM
  • Hi, ZooDoo

Thanks for your feedback and Thanks also Michael for comment.

Friday, May 4, 2007 5:56 AM