AD Authentication on Internet application RRS feed

• Question

• User-1846245394 posted

Hi Folks,

I have been trying to get this working, I feel I am almost there

here are the list of steps that I carried out  (incidently the domain server is currently remote to my development environment)

1. opend up ports 389,636,445 on development server
    2. tested the following connection string via ADSI EDIT
      <add name="ADServer" connectionString="LDAP://255.255.255.1/ DC=domain, DC=com"/>  (IP address of server has been changed for this example)
    3. added the following provider 
      <providers >
      <
      add name="MyADMembershipProvider"  Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
      type="System.Web.Security.ActiveDirectoryMembershipProvider, System.Web, " 
      applicationName="TestActiveDirectory" connectionStringName="ADServer" 
      connectionUsername="domain\admin" connectionPassword="addminpass" 
      attributeMapUsername="sAMAccountName"/>
      </
      providers>

Now for the interesting stuff, when I set the values of connectionUsername & connectionPassword to an invalid user/password. I get the following error 
     Unable to establish secure connection with the server  when I attempt to retrieve the domain provider  as follows 

Dim  domainProvider As MembershipProvider
    domainProvider = Membership.Providers("MyADMembershipProvider")

If I set the values of connectionUsername & connectionPassword to a  valid user/password. I get the following error 
     The specified domain or server could not be contacted. when I attempt to retrieve the domain provider  as follows 

Dim domainProvider As MembershipProvider
    domainProvider = Membership.Providers("MyADMembershipProvider")

I would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction here

thanks

Mark

Wednesday, September 9, 2009 8:55 PM

All replies

• User-738352979 posted
    in ur ldap connection string
    just write
     ldap://255.255.255.1  ( IP address only no need for  DC attribute)

type="System.Web.Security.ActiveDirectoryMembershipProvider, System.Web,  Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" 
    make ur type like this 

add one more attribute  test with "None"  and "Secure" 
    connectionProtection="None"

hope this work

Thursday, September 10, 2009 2:11 AM
  • User-1846245394 posted

HI Somnath,

thanks for your information,

I had the type set as you said , there was a problem pasting it into this forum

secondly I tried both your suggestions and still got the same results.

It appears as though it is talking to the domain server as I am getting different results with  valid & invalid usernames/passwords

Thanks Again

Mark

Thursday, September 10, 2009 2:54 AM
  • User-738352979 posted

this may be because ur develoment server could not access the active direc try server 1. from ur development machine go start->run-> type the ip of active directry server check whether it is browsable or not. 2. Compuert browser service is running on active directry server through services.msc

Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:47 AM
  • User-1846245394 posted

Hi SomNath,

yeah the  Computer browser service is running.

the  Domain server is not browsable by symply typing in the IP address , however the domain server has got exchangeserver on it and I can access my emails via OWA using my active directory credentials,

do you believe if  I publish the website to IIS and try it there, I'll get a better result ?

Thanks

Mark

Thursday, September 10, 2009 9:34 PM