[UWP][C++] DWRITE_E_FILEACCESS from COM API RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have a PDF reader app on the App Store. Large chunks of the program is written in C++.
    We recently upgraded our app from a Windows 8.1 to a UWP version.

Some users have reported problems with adding text boxes to the PDF through our annotations tools, and we have finally managed to track it down to a problem with fonts from the operating system.
    In particular, the problem occurs with IDWriteFont->CreateFontFace(IDWriteFontFace **);

This piece of code works fine on all of our in house devices, and it works fine for most of our app users. But for some, it consistently returns the HRESULT 0x88985004
    Which means:
    DWRITE_E_FILEACCESS
    A font file exists but could not be opened due to access denied, sharing violation, or similar error.
    according to
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh404141(v=vs.85).aspx

Also, one of our users reported that this problem fixed itself after the OS got updated to the Anniversary Update. So we are unsure of what to do at this point, as it is not like we can change a flag to enable access to system fonts.

Any information about this problem, or advice about things to try to restore access would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tomas

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 10:26 PM

All replies

• Hi T Hofrmann,
    I can not reproduce your issue. I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this question. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Best Regards,
     Jayden Gu
    Thursday, August 11, 2016 1:46 PM
  • Hi Jayden,

Thank you, I appreciate it.

Tomas

Friday, August 12, 2016 3:39 PM
  • I can reproduce this issue with the Adobe Creative Cloud Tekton Pro font installed via TypeKit.  When I try to use the font in a UWP, I get this same error and it causes a crash.

Michael

Michael S. Scherotter Media Experience Evangelist Microsoft Corporation http://blogs.msdn.com/synergist

Monday, August 15, 2016 9:07 PM