Code Dependencies RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I'm using Visual Studios Enterprise edition.  I have been able to generate a code map.

The Issue I am having is the code map does not provide the information I'm looking for.

The Solution I have included 75 to 100 *.CS Files.  These are the C# files I need to create a dependency on.

I need to see, either visually or in a file of some sort, how each of the *.CS files connect to one another.

When I run the code map and click on [Show Dependencies], I do not get the correct information.  I get links to system.dll's and such but not any links between the program modules.

Is there a way to just connect the Program modules together?

-Ron

Tuesday, November 10, 2020 5:34 PM

All replies

• Hello,

This is something to report to Microsoft using the link/button in the upper right corner of the IDE

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

My GitHub code samples
    GitHub page

Tuesday, November 10, 2020 5:54 PM
  • Hello,

This is something to report to Microsoft using the link/button in the upper right corner of the IDE

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

My GitHub code samples
    GitHub page

Hi,

What am I supposed to report?  I just need the procedure for connecting the *.CS Files and omitting everything else.

Can you help?

Tuesday, November 10, 2020 6:03 PM
  • It has been a long time since I've looked at a code map in VS but you should be able to double click the DLLs in the map for your code to step into the namespaces. From there double click to get to the classes and see the dependencies. Refer to the screenshots in the documentation on what this looks like.

But be aware that if you're using decoupled code such as interfaces, IoC and abstraction then code map isn't that useful as it cannot show the runtime dependencies, only compile time ones. I find that the CodeLens indicator above the type(s)/member(s) along with Goto to be far more accurate for specific dependency lookups.

Michael Taylor http://www.michaeltaylorp3.net

Tuesday, November 10, 2020 6:39 PM
  • It has been a long time since I've looked at a code map in VS but you should be able to double click the DLLs in the map for your code to step into the namespaces. From there double click to get to the classes and see the dependencies. Refer to the screenshots in the documentation on what this looks like.

But be aware that if you're using decoupled code such as interfaces, IoC and abstraction then code map isn't that useful as it cannot show the runtime dependencies, only compile time ones. I find that the CodeLens indicator above the type(s)/member(s) along with Goto to be far more accurate for specific dependency lookups.

Michael Taylor http://www.michaeltaylorp3.net

Thank you - I will give this a try!
    Tuesday, November 10, 2020 8:12 PM