none
Ways of Adding data to a VSTO Chart?? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

Im developing a Document-level Add-in for Excel 2010 using .NET 4.0 and C#.
    I want to add  Microsoft.Office.Tools.Excel.Chart dinamically and I know how to do it, but Im having troubles
    adding the data to the chart. I guess I have to use the method SetSourceData(Excel.Range r),

¿Is there another different way to add data to the chart?

Becuase the source of the data will be a Collection (List or Queue or Array), and the method SetSourceData only has a Excel.Range argument.

¿what about DataBinding? ¿Could I bind the the collection to the chart in order to update data automatically in the chart?

Thank you very much.

coco.     

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 10:14 AM

Answers

• Hi Tom,

sorry, I´ve been quite busy and I forgot about this post.

Well, I solved my problem using Excel.Series and adding them to the chart. Using them, I can add both and array or a Excel.Range from a sheet. Here is a little example of the code Im using.

VSTO.Worksheet vstws = Globals.Factory.GetVstoObject(Globals.ThisWorkbook.Sheets[7]);
                VSTO.Chart michart = this.Controls.AddChart(vstws.Range[ch1.dataRange], "michart");

Excel.SeriesCollection s = michart.SeriesCollection() as Excel.SeriesCollection;
                michart.ChartType = Excel.XlChartType.xlLineMarkers;

Excel.Series serie = s.NewSeries();
                serie.Values = ch1.dataRange;
                serie.Name = "serie1";

serie = s.NewSeries();
               serie.Values = ch2.dataRange;
               serie.Name = "serie2";

But there is still sth around it, in the MSDN doccumentation,

http://msdn.microsoft.com/es-es/library/microsoft.office.interop.excel.seriescollection.add.aspx

It is suggested to use the method Add from an Excel.SeriesCollecion, instead of using NewSerie(), but when I use it, apart from the serie I´m adding, many labels for nonexistent series are added to the chart.

The code above works fine, and I think the Add method form the SeriesCollection class or doesnt work properly, or I dont know how to use it. But from now, I have everything undercontrol.

Thanks for asking.

• Marked as answer by Bruce Song Wednesday, April 4, 2012 6:36 AM
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 2:53 PM

All replies

• Hi coco,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

It seems only way to add data to Chart which you mentioned. I think you can fill your data in to the Excel document and use it in the Chart.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, March 16, 2012 6:52 AM
  • Hi coco,

Any update?

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, March 19, 2012 6:10 AM
  • Hi Tom,

sorry, I´ve been quite busy and I forgot about this post.

Well, I solved my problem using Excel.Series and adding them to the chart. Using them, I can add both and array or a Excel.Range from a sheet. Here is a little example of the code Im using.

VSTO.Worksheet vstws = Globals.Factory.GetVstoObject(Globals.ThisWorkbook.Sheets[7]);
                VSTO.Chart michart = this.Controls.AddChart(vstws.Range[ch1.dataRange], "michart");

Excel.SeriesCollection s = michart.SeriesCollection() as Excel.SeriesCollection;
                michart.ChartType = Excel.XlChartType.xlLineMarkers;

Excel.Series serie = s.NewSeries();
                serie.Values = ch1.dataRange;
                serie.Name = "serie1";

serie = s.NewSeries();
               serie.Values = ch2.dataRange;
               serie.Name = "serie2";

But there is still sth around it, in the MSDN doccumentation,

http://msdn.microsoft.com/es-es/library/microsoft.office.interop.excel.seriescollection.add.aspx

It is suggested to use the method Add from an Excel.SeriesCollecion, instead of using NewSerie(), but when I use it, apart from the serie I´m adding, many labels for nonexistent series are added to the chart.

The code above works fine, and I think the Add method form the SeriesCollection class or doesnt work properly, or I dont know how to use it. But from now, I have everything undercontrol.

Thanks for asking.

• Marked as answer by Bruce Song Wednesday, April 4, 2012 6:36 AM
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 2:53 PM