Anyone here writing an ASP.NET MVC Metro Style App?

All replies

• Can you explain what you mean?  Are you trying to write an ASP.Net app which follows the general Metro design principles? 

Metro style apps (as covered in this forum) are specificly Windows 8 client-side applications using the Windows Runtime.  They cannot be written in ASP.Net.

--Rob

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 3:28 AM
    Owner
  • Yes I am, and I believe it can be done. And I am looking for others who are doing this, I am having trouble making my client side app work on Metro. If they can put Bing Map on Metro, I believe I can put my MVC app on Metro, there are just several issues that I think is a problem.

Why do you think it cannot be done?

Best,

Mario

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 3:39 AM
  • I don't think we're talking about doing the same thing here. 

ASP.Net does not run in the Metro profile.  You cannot use ASP.Net assemblies in Metro style apps in the same way you cannot use WinForms or WPF assemblies in Metro style apps.

If your model uses only available parts of .Net then you can use that, but you would need to remove all of the ASP.Net code.  You would need to rewrite the view to use Xaml controls rather than web controls (or export the model as a WinRT component and hook it up to an HTML UI). 

If you mean to leave the ASP.Net app on the server and then connect to it as a web service from a Metro style app then that could be done.

--Rob

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 4:13 AM
    Owner
  • I do mean leave the ASP.NET app on the server side and have a client on the Metro style app, a distributed Client-Server Application. I think it is awesome, and you (you as in plural) ain't seen nothing yet lol. Do you know of anyone in the forum who can help?

Thanks,

Mario

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 4:18 AM
  • Guys, it feels like a ghost town here, where is everybody!
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 3:22 PM
  • Mario, I like the idea of hitting my mvc server because I know how that works.  I am struggling with getting my metro app to hit my  odata service.  Just starting though with Metro. 

Tell me more about your idea.

Thanks, Terrence
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 5:09 PM
  • This could be a start: http://metroblog.codeplex.com/

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 6:22 PM
  • Thanks for asking Terrence.

To start, my idea is to put this on Metro with a split keyboard: http://99.175.100.45:85 it should look like the picture below if you click on the link, this is not a thin client but a rich client with a front end and a back end. It works on IE 9, but it is in alpha stage, so it has problems if you are using other browser versions.

I am having trouble with jQuery, it doesn't want to run on Metro in an iframe. Let me look at MetroBlog, this may be interesting. More later.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 10:08 PM
  • Hi Mario,

Your comments about jQuery and iframes sound like you're writing your client app in HTML/JavaScript rather than in Xaml/.Net.  If that's the case you'll find more help in the Building Metro style apps with HTML/JavaScript forum.  There are a number of threads there about using jQuery.

--Rob

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 11:29 PM
    Owner
  • That is correct Rob. For now I am choosing to write the client on javascript because it is "built-in". I do know how to write WPF and Silverlight applications, thus xaml and .net, but untill it becomes "built-in" I won't go there. Let me try posting on HTML/Javascript forum. Thanks.
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 12:22 AM
  • This could be a start: http://metroblog.codeplex.com/

Looks awesome.

Some guys here having real-world-app-development experience with hat?

Used "MahApps" in the past for a Windows app. Like to have the same comfort in ASP.NET developing ;-)

Programming is a kind of art but not all programmers are artists.

Monday, April 29, 2013 9:09 AM