IIS application pool failed to respond to ping RRS feed

• Question

• User1928633692 posted

Hi,

I have got a web service running on IIS, the web service is losing sessions so I enabled health monitoring to see what cause of that.

I saw in the event viewer system log the following log:

A process serving application pool 'WebServiceName' failed to respond to a ping. The process id was '21824'.

And in the same time in the event viewer application log the following log:

Event code: 1002

Event message: Application is shutting down. Reason: Hosting environment is shutting down.

Event time: 4/16/2015 6:28:27 PM

Event time (UTC): 4/16/2015 3:28:27 PM

Event ID: d55a4f769dab4d08bc10cbec9c35cef6

Event sequence: 1

Event occurrence: 1

Event detail code: 50002

Application information:

Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/8/ROOT-1-130736715818874002

Trust level: Full

Application Virtual Path: /

Application Path: d:\Users\Iftach\IIS\ WebServiceName \

Machine name: IFTACH

Process information:

Process ID: 21824

Process name: w3wp.exe

Account name: PENTAGON\notadmin

Custom event details:

I have been trying to investigate this problem and found that even that I did not perform any call to my web service it is shutting down every few minutes and during the time before shutting down I saw in the task manger that the web service process memory growing up to 270,000k and it is using up to 70 threads.

When I am debugging the web service the threads count in the visual studio environment is less than half of the task manger count, I also saw in the event viewer system log the following log

A process serving application pool ' WebServiceName ' failed to respond to a ping. The process id was '5268'.

A worker process with pid '5268' that serves application pool ' WebServiceName ' has been determined to be unhealthy (see previous event log message), but because a debugger is attached to it, the Windows Process Activation Service will ignore the error.

Link to description with images - https://www.dropbox.com/s/xrfljje5qxbkxy2/IIS%20application%20pool%20failed%20to%20respond%20to%20ping.docx?dl=0 

Why the process serving the application pool is fail to response to a ping?

What can I do to avoid web service shouting down every few minutes?

Sunday, April 19, 2015 9:51 AM

Answers

• User-166373564 posted

HI,

Welcome to asp.net forum.

A process serving application pool 'WebServiceName' failed to respond to a ping. The process id was '21824'.

You can recycle IIS application pool, recycling events triggered by configuration changes in the application or applications running in the application pool, or recycling caused by an unhealthy Internet Server Application Programming Interface (ISAPI) filter or ISAPI extension. See: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770764(v=ws.10).aspx

Please check whether it makes any difference.

Best regards,

Angie

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, April 20, 2015 2:46 AM

All replies

• User-166373564 posted

HI,

Welcome to asp.net forum.

You can recycle IIS application pool, recycling events triggered by configuration changes in the application or applications running in the application pool, or recycling caused by an unhealthy Internet Server Application Programming Interface (ISAPI) filter or ISAPI extension. See: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770764(v=ws.10).aspx

Please check whether it makes any difference.

Best regards,

Angie

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, April 20, 2015 2:46 AM
  • User1928633692 posted

Hi,

thanks for the reply, but this was unhelpful I know how to Recycle an Application Pool on Demand.

I also found that recycle happen when -

• Machine.Config, Web.Config or Global.asax are modified
    • The bin directory or its contents is modified
    • The physical path of the virtual directory is modified
    • The CAS policy is modified
    • The web service is restarted
    • (2.0 only) Application Sub-Directories are deleted.

I didn't restarted the web service and didn't modified The CAS policy or any file/folder of the web service, but the web service is losing sessions.

I still do not understand -

Why the process serving the application pool is fail to response to a ping?

What can I do to avoid web service shouting down every few minutes?

Monday, May 25, 2015 10:17 AM