none
pls help RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    i am beginner.i am working on the project in .net which has lots of forms,usercontrols,unittests.
    i am working on one of theform.
    i write some code and i done some changes to that.

i want to check weather my code working or not.how to do that.

thanks

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 10:45 AM

Answers

• Hi,

there are always multiple steps but these can be different from the used software:

1) The first step is always a check, if the build still works. That way you find directly errors that the compiler might throw.

2) You mentioned unit tests. That is great. Hopefully you also wrote code so the unit tests cover all your changes. So after build you can run the unit tests and make sure, that they also pass. That way you check, that the code is doing, what it is expected to do.

Now it all depends on the environment you are working in. For us it is this:

- We test our solution on our own. So we install it on a test system and play around. With this we are not only checking if it works correctly but we also check if it looks nicely.

- Once we are pleased, we hand it over to non developers. In our case it is the "customer" who ordered our development. Once the customer is satisfied, we start bringing the developed solution to production. This brings these steps:

a) Delivery of the created product

b) seperate component test - is the installation working, a tester is going through all documented test plans, ...

c) full environment test - we are supporting a big environment and these checks make sure, that the performance is ok and that one component does not conflict with another component.

d) Pilot Rollout - a defined pilot is done. Now real users are working with the complete build (where out development is only a small part.)

e) Full Rollout

This can be different for real products.

Step c) could be tests on defined environments e.g. xp, Vista, Windows 7, with different applications installed e.g. different office versions, ...

Step d) could be a beta phase, where some first end users can get the product and use it

Step e) could be a mass creation of DVDs and starting selling the software ...

The code development cycle ends with the handover. So the important steps are building the software, running the unit tests and making sure the software works through simple tests (or even automated tests!).

I hope that helped. If not then please clarify what you exactly want to know.

With kind regards,

Konrad

• Marked as answer by eryang Tuesday, May 17, 2011 9:22 AM
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 3:56 PM