Too many "New project" options. Where do I start? Making a proof-of-concept AWS login page RRS feed

• Question

• User-1573194908 posted

I'm a bit new to making web sites / web services, and the amount of options is overwhelming. There are plenty of tutorials, but they're inadequate for telling me what kind of project I actually want to make. None of the tutorials actually do exactly the thing I want to do, and I can't tell which of them are most suited for modifying into doing the thing I want to do.

For now, I want to make a proof of concept login page. Eventually, it will be a user portal that replaces one that uses ASP.NET Web Forms. The site and most of the data will be hosted on the premises, but login credentials and user info will be stored on AWS and accessed through the Cognito SDK. I want to also be able to make it mobile accessible, but I haven't yet decided if this will be through mobile apps, or a mobile page, or through adaptive CSS (I'm leaning toward adaptive CSS).

But I am seeing so many options, and am having trouble sifting through the pros and cons of each. Under "Web Application" alone, options I see include:

• Do I want to enable Docker Support? I'm not really sure what that is, even after looking at the page.
    • What type of authentication do I use since I'm authenticating with the Cognito SDK?
    • I want HTTPS enabled, right?
    • .NET Core or .NET Framework?
    • If Core, then which sub-option?
      • API
      • Web Application
      • Web Application MVC
      • Angular
      • React.js
      • React.js / Redux
    • If Framework, then which sub-option?
      • Web Forms
      • MVC
      • Web API
      • Single Page Application

There's also a bunch of project templates directly related to AWS:

• AWS Lambda
    • AWS Serverless
    • AWS Web Project
    • AWS Identity and Access Manager Instance Profile
    • AWS Identity and Access Manager User

Would any of those be more appropriate than the Web Application templates? I'm guessing not since I'm only using AWS for authentication, but I don't know enough to rule that out completely.

Thursday, August 23, 2018 2:12 PM

All replies

• User379720387 posted

What are you trying to do once you have the AWS authentication?

What is your experience level?

Thursday, August 23, 2018 7:24 PM
  • User-1573194908 posted

Eventually, it's to make a user portal to replace an old one in Web Forms. For now, I'd like to log in, have AWS authenticate, and if it does, then just give me a page that lets me see the user's name and configure the user's AWS settings (mainly whether I want MFA enabled or not).

I have a lot of experience in thick client desktop applications and in general C# coding, and a little bit of experience in Web Forms. My experience with .NET Framework MVC and AngularJS is limited to following online tutorials but I have not developed anything serious with them. I have no experience at all with .NET Core, or with Web Api.

Thursday, August 23, 2018 7:37 PM
  • User379720387 posted

My personal experience with AWS is not very good. Made one attempt to get a ASP.net website on AWS.

Got bogged down in all sorts of issues related to a Microsoft technology and AWS. An AWS reseller got involved and that went nowhere.

Gave up and it took not more than an hour to get the site on a Azure WM.

Web Forms is probably not a good framework for a new application based on what I am reading here.

If there is a team of developers involved then MVC might be a good option.

Core is the flavor of the day.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/aspnet/core/fundamentals/choose-aspnet-framework?view=aspnetcore-2.1

Saturday, August 25, 2018 4:07 PM