none
Linking Third-Party Libraries - FLTK

Question

• I tried to compile some code with FLTK, but there were Linker errors I kept getting (there were also compiler errors, but fixing them wouldn't help unless I also get the Linker errors taken care of).  So could someone please tell me the best way to link to third-party libraries in Visual Studio? I'm using Visual Studio Community 2017, by the way.

I also want to compile and run and some example code in Bjarne Stroustrup's intro C++ book, Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++ 2nd Edition, but I need to get the FLTK library stuff sorted out under VS2017 first since the code is actually the book's first GUI example code and it uses FLTK (indirectly through the author's own interface library, but yeah).

I tried installing the FLTK NuGet Package into the Project, but the Linker kept saying that it can't open "md/fltkd.lib".  I don't understand how to fix these errors.  I deleted the code and FLTK, so I can try again later with a new slate.  But I thought I'd ask here first so I know what to do for next time. 

Edit: I was able to successfully build FLTK from source and get the libraries, but I can't successfully build and run that code from PPP2 Chapter 12 in x64 mode.  It only works in x86 mode.  In x64 mode, I get these Linker errors:

Error text file
    Saturday, March 18, 2017 8:29 PM

All replies

• Hi DragonOsman2,

This forum is discussing Visual Studio WPF/SL Designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System, and Visual Studio Editor.

According your description, your issue is related to FLTK, you can get a professional answer from FLTK forum.

This is forum link: http://www.fltk.org/newsgroups.php

Hope it can help you!

Best Regards,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 20, 2017 9:25 AM
  • The linker error is Visual Studio's, so I'll need help for that from here, at least.  I've signed up at FLTK Forums for the other part, though it seems hard to ask unless I sign up for a mailing list.
    Tuesday, March 21, 2017 10:37 PM
  • Hi DragonOsman,

>>So could someone please tell me the best way to link to third-party libraries in Visual Studio?

I help you searched the following example about linking to third-party libraries in VS, maybe it will help you make sense:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/35008426/link-3rd-party-library-in-visual-studio

Hope it helpful for you.

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 2:53 AM