none
Windows Biometric Framework for Iris RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm interested in using the Windows Biometric Framework and the Windows Biometric Driver Interface with an Iris camera. But from what I gather from the current documentation, only fingerprint readers are supported. Am I reading this correctly? And if so, are there any plans to support other devices besides fingerprint readers? Thanks!

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 12:33 AM

Answers

• Your interpretation is correct: Fingerprints are the only biometric factor supported by the Windows Biometric Framework.

I know there are people who have fooled the WBF into thinking that some other kind of device (e.g., a palm-vein scanner) is a fingerprint reader. However, this results in a rather confusing user experience (all the sign-in prompts and icons refer to “fingerprints”, etc.). So it’s not a practice we recommend.

I'm assuming that the iris camera is a streaming device, which would also cause problems for the WBF. It's currently not set up to handle streaming data.

Sorry, but I can't comment on any plans for future enhancements to the WBF.

Regards,
    -Art Baker
    Senior Software Engineer - Windows Security
    www.microsoft.com/security

• Marked as answer by tstein Tuesday, October 2, 2012 6:21 PM
    Tuesday, October 2, 2012 5:42 PM

All replies

• Your interpretation is correct: Fingerprints are the only biometric factor supported by the Windows Biometric Framework.

I know there are people who have fooled the WBF into thinking that some other kind of device (e.g., a palm-vein scanner) is a fingerprint reader. However, this results in a rather confusing user experience (all the sign-in prompts and icons refer to “fingerprints”, etc.). So it’s not a practice we recommend.

I'm assuming that the iris camera is a streaming device, which would also cause problems for the WBF. It's currently not set up to handle streaming data.

Regards,
    -Art Baker

• Marked as answer by tstein Tuesday, October 2, 2012 6:21 PM
    Tuesday, October 2, 2012 5:42 PM
  • Thanks Art for confirming this!

The device is not currently a streaming device. The WBDI driver could easily capture an acceptable image and return it up the chain. If Microsoft ever decides to support Irises in the WBF, we've got a camera and would be interested in getting this working.

Thanks again,

Ted Stein

Vista Imaging, Inc.

www.vistaimaging.com

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 6:21 PM

Regards,
    -Art Baker

Considering the iris verification has far fewer false positives and false rejections, I really would like it if Microsoft could adjust the WBF to accept Iris biometrics. Or if they don't have the time, if someone could point me to what would need to be adjusted I'll do it and send it back to them.
    Wednesday, May 3, 2017 7:27 PM