none
Windows Kinect Problem RRS feed

• Question

• So i have just a got a windows kinect and i am having trouble with one of the c++ sample programs that comes with the kinect sdk,the sample inhand is called SkeletonBasics-D2D,i am unable to get any skeletol lines to show up on the screen,the kinect is reconized by windows and the drivers are installed,thanks if you can help.

Anddos

Saturday, November 23, 2013 5:26 PM

Answers

• Since the depth samples are working, this may be more of an issue with performance of the system. Depth is processed into skeleton data and requires some level of CPU power to complete in a timely manner.

Having some USB devices that are not installed correct may be a problem (yellow caution symbol) Do you have the latest drivers for the USB chipset on your computer and all devices?

Try the hardware on another system. I have been able to run the Kinect on various devices without issue include a Dell Venue 8 Pro. Is the sensor setup on a flat surface parallel to the ground? Skeleton tracking also requires you are ~ .8 - 4 meters away for effective tracking.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh855356.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh973071.aspx

As for the breaking, you can check the breakpoint mentioned to see if the issue may be with redraw of the application. This requires a D2D drawing surface and may be a problem with the graphics configuration of the system. By debugging the application, you have all source code for the samples, to can ensure the sensor and SDK are working correctly by checking if the breakpoint is getting hit.

If you are not a developer, then have a look at the Quick Start series to get started. Developing for Kinect requires that you have a strong understand of these concepts before you begin.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/kinectforwindowsdev/Start.aspx 

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Thursday, January 23, 2014 8:49 PM

All replies

• Do any of the depth samples work? Skeleton data is generated from the depth frames provided by the device. If you are having performance or issues getting the data in a timely fashion that would affect tracking. Other than that, you may have a graphics/redraw issue with D2D. 

Put a breakpoint on the ProcessFrame method and ensure this function is getting called.

Have you tried Kinect Explorer? If these work then have you made any modifications to the sample that you can think of? If you are not able to get any of the Depth or Skeleton samples to work, you may want to try to troubleshoot the USB ports you are connected to.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Monday, November 25, 2013 6:43 PM
  • Do any of the depth samples work? Skeleton data is generated from the depth frames provided by the device. If you are having performance or issues getting the data in a timely fashion that would affect tracking. Other than that, you may have a graphics/redraw issue with D2D. 

Put a breakpoint on the ProcessFrame method and ensure this function is getting called.

Have you tried Kinect Explorer? If these work then have you made any modifications to the sample that you can think of? If you are not able to get any of the Depth or Skeleton samples to work, you may want to try to troubleshoot the USB ports you are connected to.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Thanks for the reply

All 3 depth samples are working fine

I dont understand what you mean by 

I have tried connect explorer and have not modified any samples yet

I am using a 10 port usb hub, maybe it could be the problem but every other usb device works fine

Anddos

Sunday, January 19, 2014 12:11 AM
  • You should plug the sensor in directly to the motherboards USB port. You cannot share the USB Host Controller with any other USB devices. The Kinect requires up to 60% of available USB2 resources.

You can check you Device Manager > View by connection to determine your host controller is being shared. There are other thread that discuss this in more detail.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Monday, January 20, 2014 9:52 PM
  • You should plug the sensor in directly to the motherboards USB port. You cannot share the USB Host Controller with any other USB devices. The Kinect requires up to 60% of available USB2 resources.

You can check you Device Manager > View by connection to determine your host controller is being shared. There are other thread that discuss this in more detail.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Now the kinect is directly connected to the motherboard USB socket and i am still having the same issue with not been able to display any skeletol data to screen, any other ideas what i can do ?

Here is a screenshot of my device manager

• Edited by Anddos Monday, January 20, 2014 10:05 PM here is an image
    Monday, January 20, 2014 9:59 PM
  • So i am at a loss on how to get skeletol data to work, i would like to try to animate 3d models using the kinect for a game engine i am working on.

Anddos

Thursday, January 23, 2014 1:33 AM
  • Since the depth samples are working, this may be more of an issue with performance of the system. Depth is processed into skeleton data and requires some level of CPU power to complete in a timely manner.

Having some USB devices that are not installed correct may be a problem (yellow caution symbol) Do you have the latest drivers for the USB chipset on your computer and all devices?

Try the hardware on another system. I have been able to run the Kinect on various devices without issue include a Dell Venue 8 Pro. Is the sensor setup on a flat surface parallel to the ground? Skeleton tracking also requires you are ~ .8 - 4 meters away for effective tracking.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh855356.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh973071.aspx

As for the breaking, you can check the breakpoint mentioned to see if the issue may be with redraw of the application. This requires a D2D drawing surface and may be a problem with the graphics configuration of the system. By debugging the application, you have all source code for the samples, to can ensure the sensor and SDK are working correctly by checking if the breakpoint is getting hit.

If you are not a developer, then have a look at the Quick Start series to get started. Developing for Kinect requires that you have a strong understand of these concepts before you begin.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/kinectforwindowsdev/Start.aspx 

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Thursday, January 23, 2014 8:49 PM