Disable upload for document library to enforce usage of templates RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Is there any way to get rid of upload option from sharepoint document library? We want users to create new document only with the content types attached to the document library. Also need to disable on the web part of the homepage. 

Thanks,

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 11:01 AM

All replies

• Hi Amanda.

If you are using SharePoint 2013, add a script editor webpart and insert the below css to hide upload button in document library toolbar:

<style>
    #QCB1_Button2
    {
    display:none;
    }
    </style>

To hide upload option in ribbon and to disable drag and drop option, refer the below article:

http://www.sharepointdiary.com/2015/10/hide-upload-button-in-document-library-sharepoint-2013.html?m=1

If you are using other version, press F12 Developer tool to find the id of upload button 

Regards, Sathiya

Thursday, May 4, 2017 6:05 AM
  • I do not know where to add this to. I have access to sharepoint designer 2010 and 2013.  Can you please explain where to put this in the code?
    Monday, May 8, 2017 5:06 PM
  • Hi,

Please follow the below steps:

• Go to your document library and click on gear wheel symbol
    • Click on "Edit page" as shown below.

You can also append ToolPaneView=2 after AllItems.aspx as AllItems.aspx?ToolPaneView=2 in the address bar to go to edit page

• Click on Add a webPart, select script editor webpart and click on add

• Click on Edit Snippet and insert the code 
    • Save the changes and Stop editing the page

Regards, Sathiya

Tuesday, May 9, 2017 5:09 AM
  • Hi, although it is qiute late response, I write it here anyway for those who still struggle this problem.

This can be solved without injection of a CSS style that hides "Add document" button. I found this method having a side effect. When I open a view page for editing and place a Script Editor WP (any WP actually), after going out of Edit mode, the buttons in the upper band - "Files" and "Library" (to the right from "Browse") becomes hidden. This makes inability to add a file (whatever) in the empty library - "Add document" button is hidden along with "Files" button that normally allows to choose a content type for an element to add.
    There is a simple (based on standards) way to hide the "Add document" above the files list.

• Open the view file for editing - click on the gear wheel icon
    • Open edit panel for the ListViewWebPart
    • In the Toolbar type dropbox chose an element "... without toolbar" - this hides the "Add document" link
    Friday, March 2, 2018 11:22 AM