Google Calendar API help to add events RRS feed

• Question

• I need to add an event from a calendar in a desktop app created in VB to a shared Web Google calendar.

The Google API docs are not very helpful.

Anyone made any attempt to access Google Calendar from VB?

Many, many thanks for any and all ideas on this.

Mark

Thursday, January 28, 2016 12:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• See if the below link helps:

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/121826/How-To-Use-the-Google-Data-Protocol-to-Create-Even

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

• Proposed as answer by Frank L. Smith Thursday, January 28, 2016 6:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by Markus701 Saturday, January 30, 2016 3:50 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Markus701 Saturday, January 30, 2016 3:52 PM
    Thursday, January 28, 2016 1:49 PM
  • This is so what I was looking for, but Google has made big changes since 2010 that make me worried this code is likely to have problems.  Apparently, now to use their calendar API you must go thru a complicated registration process designed, I think, to track every time it is used in any app.

Will be trying the link and the code and am hoping for the best.  Will get back here with results.

Many thanks,

Mark

Thursday, January 28, 2016 6:17 PM
  • Yeah, if that API no longer works then it's a bit more complicated with the newer one.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Thursday, January 28, 2016 8:08 PM
  • Well the code link you provided for the old way was clear and succinct and much like the many other APIs I have used for many years.

The new Oauth 2.0 system is a nightmare that might be much better if the docs were not so incredibly awful.

Following the steps Google says to use, I got all my secret authorization codes, but nowhere does it do a download of dll like any normal API system.  And there are no .net examples for vb.net I could find. 

So I have my codes and nothing else.  If you or anyone checking in here have any clues on where a vb.net programmer goes after getting the secret codes, please, please let me know.  Or even a link to a doc that provides some type of explanation.

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Mark

Friday, January 29, 2016 9:46 PM
  • Ok, for those listening.  The next step was to use Visual Studio's NuGet tool to get the relevant Google API and make them part of the project.  I know, someone is saying, "duh"

Am now moving forward (finally) with coding using the newest Google API v3.  FYI, found some help here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/27015252/creating-a-google-calendar-event-in-vb

Thanks again to Paul for checking in.  Thought you might want to add this link to your knowledge base.

Mark

Saturday, January 30, 2016 3:49 PM