Two Suggestions for Microsoft.

General discussion

• When you mouse over to the left side of the screen all the running apps should appear not just one.

We should be able to click and drag to scroll on the start page.

Friday, September 16, 2011 12:15 AM

All replies

• all running apps do appear, you can dock the app list. I haven't find a consist way to do it, though.

I found the middle mouse wheel good for scrolling.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Friday, September 16, 2011 1:32 AM
  • I'm more in alignment with LynnDawson.  I don't really see a good Metro way of viewing all the currently running apps without having to do this frequent swipe from the left back and forth to view the thumbnails of each.  I believe there is a usability issue here that i would be shocked if this wasn't improved my Microsoft in a future build.  Certainly, I know that I can view the desktop and see what is running as well as open task manager but I don't see this comprehensive running list.  Google Android Honeycomb came out without a sound recent apps access list and people had strong opinions on getting one.  It was introduced in 3.1 and added a lot of value for consumers.  I think this simple needs to happen for a couple reasons:

1.  I should simply be able to view across all devices / physical interfaces (keyboard, mouse, touch) a way to quickly identify all things that are running so I can make a quick and concise decision.

2.  There seems to be no good way to snap two applications next to each other in a conscious way.  You have to open an app, go back to the start page and open another app, and then start left swiping in the other app that you wanted to snap it.  With Windows 7 snap features being so friendly or mouse and keyboard, I would be shocked and disappointed if Microsoft doesn't improve the ability to snap in applications quicker.  The way it works now is great for certain usage scenarios but it isn't a complete picture now.  I spoke with a Microsoft BUILD staff member to get more insight on this today and I wasn't given a good answer on this.  He suggested a lot of keyboard shortcuts to do what I wanted.  There is one problem with this...the keyboard.  I can't replicate what he suggested with touch.

Win8 is very new to me this week (as with everyone) so I would love for someone to highlight a different way that maybe I haven't noticed yet.  I know it is very early but right now, these scenarios are not "fast and fluid".

• Edited by Diesel7633 Friday, September 16, 2011 2:24 AM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 2:24 AM