Intermittent build failures with the reference assemblies for Android/iOS were not found RRS feed

• Question

• User391008 posted

About 50% of my builds on my CI system fail with:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Professional\MSBuild\Xamarin\Android\Xamarin.Android.Common.targets(815,2): error MSB3644: The reference assemblies for MonoAndroid,Version=v1.0 were not found. To resolve this, install the Developer Pack (SDK/Targeting Pack) for this framework version or retarget your application. You can download .NET Framework Developer Packs at https://aka.ms/msbuild/developerpacks [E:\GitCI\3b7236bb\0\Applications\UnifyVehicleRemote\src\RemoteApp.Forms.Android\RemoteApp.Forms.Android.csproj]

and

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Professional\MSBuild\Current\Bin\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(1175,5): error MSB3644: The reference assemblies for Xamarin.iOS,Version=v1.0 were not found. To resolve this, install the Developer Pack (SDK/Targeting Pack) for this framework version or retarget your application. You can download .NET Framework Developer Packs at https://aka.ms/msbuild/developerpacks [E:\GitCI\3b7236bb\0\Applications\UnifyVehicleRemote\src\RemoteApp.Forms.iOS\RemoteApp.Forms.iOS.csproj]

And finally: error MSB4247: Could not load SDK Resolver. A manifest file exists, but the path to the SDK Resolver DLL file could not be found. Manifest file path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Professional\MSBuild\Current\Bin\SdkResolvers\Microsoft.Build.NuGetSdkResolver\Microsoft.Build.NuGetSdkResolver.xml'. SDK resolver path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Professional\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\NuGet\Microsoft.Build.NuGetSdkResolver.dll

Googling these error finds threads from years ago, and the failures are not intermittent.

This doesn't every happen from Visual Studio only on my CI box.

Wednesday, May 27, 2020 5:03 AM

All replies

• User391008 posted

Sorry about the double post, I got an error so assumed it didn't work, turns out it did.

Wednesday, May 27, 2020 5:07 AM
  • User371688 posted

About 50% of my builds on my CI system fail with:

Do you mean that your app sometimes failed and sometimes succeeded when it was built?

Then when you encounter this question, you can try to delete bin and obj folders, then restart VS and try again .

Wednesday, May 27, 2020 8:39 AM
  • User391008 posted

This only occurs on our build machine, when building from msbuild, and it only about 50% of the time.

The build is done from a fresh checkout each time, so there are no bin and obj folders to delete, There is also no VS to restart as it built using msbuild.

Wednesday, May 27, 2020 8:54 AM