none
The virtual machine cannot restart. The current virtual machine state is RoleStateUnknown.

Question

• I didn't have enough memory to install and configure Team Foundation Server 2012 RC. I shutdown the VM and changed it from a small to large configuration. Everything appeared to work. However, when I attempt to restart the VM I get the following error -

The virtual machine cannot restart. The current virtual machine state is RoleStateUnknown.

• Edited by BobHardister Wednesday, June 13, 2012 5:10 PM Remove log details
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 6:29 PM

Answers

• Hey Bob,

You should be able to accomplish this by going through the new portal and walking these steps:

Click <NEW> in the portal

Click <Virtual Machine> and then <From Gallery>

On the left, click, <My Disks>

From there, you should be able to find your specific disk associated with your previous VM. It will be named by the "ServiceName-VMName-DateDeployed." Frequently the ServiceName and the VMName are the same, if you use QuickLaunch.

You can then further manage your disks by clicking on "Virtual Machines" on the main portal and then click on "Disks" from there, to add and delete from it.

Corey

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 6:05 PM

All replies

• Hello Bob,

Thanks for reporting the problem.

We are seeing such issues with preview cluster where just after creating the Virtual Machine, the status is reported "Unknown" for some time however if you wait a little and then try to "Restart" it, it does work. On most cases it does work and you will see you VM is ready and running. I am not sure if you have done it or how long you have seen this issue however it is worth trying while we are investigating this issue on our side.

I would also like to point out that in above logs, you have your Subscription ID displayed within the log. While it is your decision to display the log as it is, however I personally suggest to keep it masked with *****.

If you still have problem and your Virtual Machine status is unknown, I would suggest you to give a try again to create a new VM and see if you still have problem.

Regards,

Avkash Chauhan | Microsoft

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 11:23 PM
  • Please refer to Corey's response on http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/WAVirtualMachinesforWindows/thread/561f8cb8-b311-4c7b-9caa-a4df9dbdda49

This seems be an issue that will be fixed in future versions. To quickly workaround the issue, you can either remove the VM using the portal (hitting delete) and then redeploy it from the same disk, or you can import/export using the powershell capabilities (which also saves aside the ports added and the data disks attached). Details on this can be found below. More details can be found in the thread referred above.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 3:41 PM
  • Redeploying from the same disk is fine. How do I do that from the UI?

Bob Hardister

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 5:23 PM
  • Hey Bob,

You should be able to accomplish this by going through the new portal and walking these steps:

Click <NEW> in the portal

Click <Virtual Machine> and then <From Gallery>

On the left, click, <My Disks>

From there, you should be able to find your specific disk associated with your previous VM. It will be named by the "ServiceName-VMName-DateDeployed." Frequently the ServiceName and the VMName are the same, if you use QuickLaunch.

You can then further manage your disks by clicking on "Virtual Machines" on the main portal and then click on "Disks" from there, to add and delete from it.

Corey

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 6:05 PM
  • Hi Corey,

Thanks for getting back to me. I was able to create a VM usign the existing disk, but it failed to start at first for the same reason as the first VM.

However, in the time it took to write this post it did start all by itself and appears to be fine.

Bob Hardister

• Edited by BobHardister Wednesday, June 13, 2012 6:19 PM Updated status
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 6:16 PM