none
Hand states always detected as either "HandState_Unknown" or "HandState_NotTracked" RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am having some troubles with recognizing the Hand States in the BodyBasics Example. The skeleton is shown correctly, but the hand states for both hands are always either "HandState_Unknown" or "HandState_NotTracked" even though I am closing my hand pointing etc at a distance of 1.5-2 meters. 

This problem suddenly occurred on my machine, it used to work before. I recently switched from the dev JuneSDK to the publicly released SDK and have used the development sensor (with the patterns) and the public sensor (with Kinect written on it). 

I reset two windows 8.1 machines and reinstalled visual studio 2012 as well as the publicly released Kinect SDK. Only on one machine the tracking of the hand states works within the Body Basics example. 

The machine it is working on is using:

Windows 8.1 Pro

Intel (R) Core i7-4500U CPU @ 1.80GHz 2.4GHz

8.00 GB RAM

The machine the hand states are not detected on is using:

Windows 8.1

Intel (R) Core i7-4770 CPU @ 3.4GHz 3.4GHz

16.0 GB RAM

Both machines have different Windows updates installed. 

Could this be an issue with windows updates? Or an issue from switching between different versions of the SDK? 

Thanks a lot,

Anette

• Edited by anettevk Wednesday, September 24, 2014 6:16 PM
    Wednesday, September 24, 2014 4:04 AM

Answers

• I experienced the same problem. In my case, I tried updating GPU drivers version and adjusting GPU setting properties(CUDA setting). so, I solved this problem. If your case is same cause, you should find ways to set some properties for multi GPU system.

I can't english well;  sorry...

good luck.

• Marked as answer by anettevk Wednesday, October 1, 2014 5:13 PM
    Wednesday, October 1, 2014 11:33 AM

All replies

• I still could not resolve this issue. I reinstalled my machine completely. Installed all Windows updates, installed visual Studio 2012, installed the public preview of the Kinect SDK. Then I connected the dev kit sensor (with the patterns). Everything is working except the hand states. 

Do you have any suggestion what the problem could be? 

Is there a problem in the firmware of the sensor? What would be a next step to test what the problem could be? 

Thank you,
    Anette

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 4:54 PM
  • I experienced the same problem. In my case, I tried updating GPU drivers version and adjusting GPU setting properties(CUDA setting). so, I solved this problem. If your case is same cause, you should find ways to set some properties for multi GPU system.

I can't english well;  sorry...

good luck.

• Marked as answer by anettevk Wednesday, October 1, 2014 5:13 PM
    Wednesday, October 1, 2014 11:33 AM
  • Wow thanks a lot!

This seems to have solved the problem. 

I have a NVidia GeForce GT 635. I downloaded the latest driver for that: GeForce 344.11 Driver and installed it. I did not adjust any of the GPU settings but it works! Thanks Lee S. J!

Anette

• Edited by anettevk Wednesday, October 1, 2014 5:13 PM
    Wednesday, October 1, 2014 4:50 PM