none
Completely unable to download - any options? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm desperately trying to download SQL Server 2008 R2 Datacenter and I'm getting 50 Kb/s which eventually drops to 0 and/or disconnects.

Are there any other mirrors or other options?  I've tried using various download accelerators, etc.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 11:57 PM

Answers

• Hello Everyone!

After a series of reports of incomplete and slow downloads, we have reverted all files back to the older network and the Microsoft File Transfer Manager.  For those who have faced the issue of slow or incomplete downloads, or downloads of an incorrect size, we thank you for your patience while we investigated this issue, and we apologize for it.  We know this has been a trying time, and I’ve read each and every report that has come in on these forums, traceroutes sent in, and reports sent to the call centers.

As we’ve stated previously on these forums and on our blog, the move to the new CDN was intended to improve your experience with Subscriber Downloads, offering much faster speeds and allowing us more flexibility.  While speeds improved for many, some of you have had issues with downloads even as improvements were made to the new network.

Some questions you may have:

1) Why did this take so long?

For the past few weeks we’ve been working on the premise that the solution would be to place more servers along our network.  With each trace route we received, we had another location we could place more servers along that would improve performance for people both vocally reporting the issue, and for others nearby who hadn’t reported to us.     We needed to see the effects of these fixes we were making on complaints, and while the number of reports did trend down, we continued to receive new complaints from new customers, and decided to switch back

2) Are you going to go back to the new CDN later?

Going forward, we are still expecting to move back to the new CDN, but not until we’ve resolved all of the issues. As I’ve said, the same network serves up Windows Update, and so it has the capacity, but we will rework our implementation of it, and test it thoroughly before it goes live.

What other questions do you have?  Please let me know!

Thanks,

Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 5:52 PM

All replies

• hey sofakng (trying to avoid jokes about what your last name might be ;),

We've had a number of reports about the downloads situation, and I think you're having the same problem.  I've started a separate thread about it here, and it does have some comments from others about what has worked for them.  

We are working on this problem and we should have something to announce later today.

Thanks,
    Mike 

Thursday, September 22, 2011 2:03 PM
  • Hello Everyone!

After a series of reports of incomplete and slow downloads, we have reverted all files back to the older network and the Microsoft File Transfer Manager.  For those who have faced the issue of slow or incomplete downloads, or downloads of an incorrect size, we thank you for your patience while we investigated this issue, and we apologize for it.  We know this has been a trying time, and I’ve read each and every report that has come in on these forums, traceroutes sent in, and reports sent to the call centers.

As we’ve stated previously on these forums and on our blog, the move to the new CDN was intended to improve your experience with Subscriber Downloads, offering much faster speeds and allowing us more flexibility.  While speeds improved for many, some of you have had issues with downloads even as improvements were made to the new network.

Some questions you may have:

1) Why did this take so long?

For the past few weeks we’ve been working on the premise that the solution would be to place more servers along our network.  With each trace route we received, we had another location we could place more servers along that would improve performance for people both vocally reporting the issue, and for others nearby who hadn’t reported to us.     We needed to see the effects of these fixes we were making on complaints, and while the number of reports did trend down, we continued to receive new complaints from new customers, and decided to switch back

2) Are you going to go back to the new CDN later?

Going forward, we are still expecting to move back to the new CDN, but not until we’ve resolved all of the issues. As I’ve said, the same network serves up Windows Update, and so it has the capacity, but we will rework our implementation of it, and test it thoroughly before it goes live.

What other questions do you have?  Please let me know!

Thanks,

Mike

Thursday, September 22, 2011 5:52 PM
  • Downloads from MSDN and TechNet now both impossible.  They fail immediately using the Akamai Download Manager.  You may think it's an improvement, but for me, all downloads are gone.  Why not revert to HTTP as an option?
    Thursday, October 25, 2012 10:34 AM
  • hmm you found a post from over a year ago FreAlan.    There is a separate thread we have for the issue you're having with Akamai DLM, and that thread is here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/msdnfeedback/thread/a60acf3c-ab84-4529-9842-572b6ce018f3

Absolutely HTTP is an option, but the way we've implemented the site, we provide an http experience over non-IE browsers.   The Akamai DLM is more robust than HTTP when it works, but for some people the Akamai DLM doesn't get through their proxy, and the straight http download experience is available using Firefox, Chrome, or another browser.

Thanks,
    Mike

Thursday, October 25, 2012 4:59 PM