[WP8.1]Upgrading a Windows Phone App to 8.1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there

I am trying to add a new feature to my Windows 8.0\8.1 Phone app.

This was originally built in Visual Studio Express 2012 under Windows 8.0.

I have upgraded my computer to 8.1, however I did nothing with Visual Studio when I upgraded.  I have successfuly published to the store since I upgraded.

I now need to add an feature using the FileSavePicker class, which, as far as I can see, is only available under Windows Phone 8.1
    (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/windows.storage.pickers.filesavepicker.aspx).

In the "Target Windows Phone OS Version" dropdown on the "Applications" tab of the Project Properties page, I only have one option, "Windows Phone 0S 8.0".

Can I upgrade Visual Studio Express 2012 to support a Windows 8.1 app? 

If not, what are my options? 

I want to keep the development environment at Windows 8.1, and I would prefer to have to upgrade visual studio to a new version, as I find this can cause headaches.
    If needbe, will I be able to run a later version of Visual Studio along side my current version?

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Geoff Olding

• Edited by Krunal Parekh Wednesday, May 18, 2016 6:22 AM subject
    Tuesday, May 17, 2016 7:24 PM

Answers

• Hi,

>>Can I upgrade Visual Studio Express 2012 to support a Windows 8.1 app? 
    I would recommend you to install Visual Studio 2015 Community Version. https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/download-visual-studio-vs.aspxIt is much better than using Express Version.

>>If needbe, will I be able to run a later version of Visual Studio along side my current version?

Yes I believe you can install different versions of visual studios side by side.

Thanks MSDN Community Support Please remember to Mark as Answer the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

• Proposed as answer by Krunal Parekh Thursday, May 26, 2016 8:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by Barry Wang Friday, May 27, 2016 4:46 AM
    Wednesday, May 18, 2016 2:27 AM
  • Hi,

>>Would I be able to move my 8.0/8.1 app into this environment?, or would it be better to install VS 2015 Community alongside VS 2012 Express on my 8.1 laptop? I am concerned about developing and testing an app designed for running on 8.1 on a Windows 10 PC.  Are there any dangers in doing this?

No. You can perfectly develop Windows 8.1 app in Windows 10 machine. There is separate project for UWP and windows 8.1 so you don't have to worry that much also I would recommend to move to VS 2015 and not install VS versions side by side

Thanks MSDN Community Support Please remember to Mark as Answer the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, May 19, 2016 9:11 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>>Can I upgrade Visual Studio Express 2012 to support a Windows 8.1 app? 
    I would recommend you to install Visual Studio 2015 Community Version. https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/download-visual-studio-vs.aspxIt is much better than using Express Version.

>>If needbe, will I be able to run a later version of Visual Studio along side my current version?

Yes I believe you can install different versions of visual studios side by side.

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 2:27 AM
  • Many thanks for your reply.

I do in fact have Visual Studio 2015 community version installed on a separate Windows 10 laptop, which I am using to develop a Universal app.  Would I be able to move my 8.0/8.1 app into this environment?, or would it be better to install VS 2015 Community alongside VS 2012 Express on my 8.1 laptop?

I am concerned about developing and testing an app designed for running on 8.1 on a Windows 10 PC.  Are there any dangers in doing this?

Many thanks

Geoff Olding

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 12:43 PM
  • Hi,

>>Would I be able to move my 8.0/8.1 app into this environment?, or would it be better to install VS 2015 Community alongside VS 2012 Express on my 8.1 laptop? I am concerned about developing and testing an app designed for running on 8.1 on a Windows 10 PC.  Are there any dangers in doing this?

No. You can perfectly develop Windows 8.1 app in Windows 10 machine. There is separate project for UWP and windows 8.1 so you don't have to worry that much also I would recommend to move to VS 2015 and not install VS versions side by side

Thursday, May 19, 2016 9:11 AM
  • Ok many thanks - I'll give it a try.

Regards

Geoff Olding

Thursday, May 19, 2016 10:13 AM
  • Hello there

I have managed to successfully move to this new environment.

Thanks for your help.

Saturday, July 16, 2016 7:44 PM