none
Biztalk supprot

Question

• i am new to support i have changes the biz talk application in local system i what to update in production how to do it step by step
    Monday, November 21, 2016 4:22 AM

Answers

All replies

• Refer my post here: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d3cd8825-5055-4845-8fa1-803da93e982b/how-to-migrate-the-biztalk-application-to-test-and-production-environment?forum=biztalkr2adapters

You need to:

Also read: Deploying and Managing BizTalk Applications

Read more here:

Walkthrough: Deploying a Basic BizTalk Application

Production Tasks for BizTalk Application Deployment

Here are the steps:

1. Export the MSI via the admin console.  Export the bindings separately (I'm not a fan of putting the bindings in the MSI)

2. Gather up any non-BizTalk DLLs, for example helpers that are GAC'ed. 

3. Gather up any configuration settings, for example in BizTalk's .config file developers sometimes stash settings. 

4. If you use SSO to store passwords etc, you will need to export these. 

5. Export any rule engine policies, if you use them. 

6. Get any passwords you need to set up, such as for database logins, ftp accounts, etc. 

7. Are there any adapters that point to test systems which should point somewhere else in production? Make a note of these

8. If your application has its own host, make a note of host name and host instance settings. 

9. If you have custom pipeline components, gather up those DLLs separately. 

Rachit Sikroria (Microsoft Azure MVP)

Monday, November 21, 2016 4:29 AM
  • Hi SubSuresh,

You can refer to

Walkthrough: Deploying a Basic BizTalk Application to get a basic idea about the BizTalk Deployment

You need to export the msi from the local system and then import the same msi on the Prod.

To understand production deployment tasks refer

Production Tasks for BizTalk Application Deployment

To understand the concepts in detail refer

Binding Files and Application Deployment

Regards

You can also ask the developer team to take a look at the BTDF tool

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Monday, November 21, 2016 4:31 AM
  • Most of what you need has already been covered. 

You will also have to plan for a Production downtime with the concerned stakeholders. Also, what changes have happened in the local application? If it is just a single assembly, you can simply update that as a resource from Admin Console in your application in Production(provided there are no other dependencies on this assembly).

This works well for small changes, like code change in an orchestration or in a .NET helper assembly-

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa578654.aspx

Thanks Arindam

Monday, November 21, 2016 6:39 AM
  • Hi

Standard practice in SDLC is take it through test layers like IT, UAT, Pre Prod and then production this helps you to have end point testing done and you are confident that multi layer and multi server testing is done before production to avoid any issues of moving from Dev to Production

Not sure what you have in terms of application movement but be careful to Deploy the Custom pipe line components to the Pipe line folder apart from the steps given above.

-----------------------------------------------------

Thanks

Basharat Ahmed

Monday, November 21, 2016 11:13 AM
  • Suresh

Every one provided a lot of information. Hope none of us not confused :)

If you are looking simple steps, export as MSI from source server and Import as MSI in destination. 

Practice same on your local , you will be expert after one time :)

Ram

Monday, November 21, 2016 2:22 PM
  • Hi,

There are many ways you can have the deployment propagated to higher environment the simplest being export and import msi, BUT what is important, is to see what approach your company follows. 

check with the development team and follow the baseline approach.  I would reccomend to follow what is allready is being followed in your compnay (Be wary of the fact that you will be required to check for the custom config(Non binding)/XSL files if any used by BizTalk solution. So my suggestion would be to avoid exporting and importing an existing solution straight from DEV to PROD. You dont want test data email shooting out to a larger groups or orchestration service not starting because they were using some custom config files etc... As of now majority of BizTalk implementation uses following to take care of deployment. 

1.Using Build Server (BTSTask)

2.BTDF

Regards PK: Please mark the reply as answer or vote it up, as deemed fit.

Monday, November 21, 2016 9:26 PM