none
Environment.OSVersion and VS2015 Enterprise targeting

Question

• Hello.

(1) Could you please explain the marked differences in the attached image?

(2) Is a full explanation of the root cause related with the comment about Targeting your application for Windows in the following page?

Operating System Version

(3) If so, is VS2015 Enterprise not specifically targeting Windows 8.1 or Windows 10?

Thank you very much in advance for your kind responses.

Wednesday, March 09, 2016 4:33 PM

Answers

• Thank you Lake. It seems that the VS2015 application (EXE) does not have an application manifest.

I reproduced the same case with a .NET Console application. Then I added to it an application manifest* with the entries of the link inside the referred page (Operation System Version) and now it works as expected.

* Application Manifests

Thank you.

Friday, March 11, 2016 1:44 AM

All replies

• Hi MarcoDorantes,

Thanks for your post.

I did a test in my side using VS2015 Community and my OS is Windows 8.1 Enterprise as well.

When I use OS.Environment function to get the verion of my OS. It shows Windows NT 6.2.9200.0

I did a research about this difference, but I can't find any explanation about it. But I will be search it.

For the other two questions you post. As far as I know, both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, they all support VS2015 Enterprise.

You can refer to the VS2015 Enterprise system requirement in the following document:

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/visual-studio-2015-system-requirements-vs.aspx

And about Targeting your application for Windows, it depends on which application you developed. For example. Windows 8.1 support windows 8 and 8.1 development.

If I misunderstood your question, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Thursday, March 10, 2016 6:59 AM
  • Thank you Lake. It seems that the VS2015 application (EXE) does not have an application manifest.

I reproduced the same case with a .NET Console application. Then I added to it an application manifest* with the entries of the link inside the referred page (Operation System Version) and now it works as expected.

* Application Manifests

Thank you.

Friday, March 11, 2016 1:44 AM
  • Hi MarcoDorantes,

Glad to know that you have resolved this issue, thanks for sharing your solution here.

Since it has been resolved, if possible, please mark your reply as the answer, so it would be helpful for other members who get the same issue as yours to research and find the answer directly, and I could close this case.

Have a nice day,

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Friday, March 11, 2016 1:48 AM