Jump List not appearing for start menu shortcut RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've written an application that has a jump list consisting of files, tasks and custom destinations (all written using the Managed API Code Pack). It works quite well when the jump list is opened for a running instance when right-clicking on the taskbar icon. It also works when I pin the program to the taskbar when the app is not running. It does however NOT work when I create the shortcut to the application myself as part of the installer, e.g. in the "Start" menu. I've compared the shortcuts (right-click > properties) that I've created with the one created by Windows when i select "pin to taskbar", and I can't see any difference. But still there seems to be some magic in the shortcut that Windows creates that mine apparently doesn't have, and prevents it from associating the application with the shortcut.

Another oberservation that seems to confirm this is that when I right-click the start menu shortcut and select "pin to taskbar", and then click that new taskbar button to launch the app, the running instance will get a new taskbar button instead of being associated with the one I used to run it.

Any ideas of what might be the issue here?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Monday, August 16, 2010 5:01 PM

Answers

• Digging some more into the net & the Windows SDK docs, I was able to solve the problem.

It looks like there is indeed some magic to the OS-created shortcuts. To mimick it, I had to use the IPropertyStore interface of the shortcut to assign a special property System.AppUserModel.ID to the ApplicationID that I'm also using in my program.

Michael

• Marked as answer by micTronic Monday, August 16, 2010 8:46 PM
    Monday, August 16, 2010 8:46 PM