none
Increase Temporary VM Disk Size RRS feed

• Question

I have upgraded my azure virtual machine from A1 tier to A2 tier but the hard disk size still remain the same as per spec for A1 which is 30GB, For A2 I should get 135GB, how to fix this without rebuilding the whole virtual machine again? Thanks in advance.

Thanks

@AzureSupport

Friday, July 29, 2016 5:01 AM

All replies

• Greetings!

Thank you for posting here!

For clarification; Are you using a Basic or Standard Tier VMs (A1/A2 VMs)? Is it a classic VM or an ARM VM?

Disk size for Basic Tier A1 VM is 40 GB.

Disk size for Basic Tier A2 VM is 60 GB.

Disk size for Standard Tier A1 VM is 70 GB.

Disk size for Standard Tier A2 VM is 135 GB.

Kindly check the link documentations below for more information:
    https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/virtual-machines/#Linux

What is the size of the temporary storage?

You may want to resize the VM again from Standard A2 to A1 and then back to A2 again - Check to see if that makes any difference.

Also, if the VM is running Windows Server OS kindly look into the ‘Disk Management’ to confirm the disk space.

Important: The temporary disk is not persistent. You should only write data onto this disk that you are willing to lose at any time.

Hope this points you in the right direction!

Regards,
    Ajay

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kindly click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread and also ‘Vote as Helpful’

Friday, July 29, 2016 4:02 PM
  • Good day,

I've resize from Standard A2 to A1 and the disk size still remain the same as 30gb, I've tried to resize again there is no changes on the disk size, we are using classic VM with Ubuntu/Linux

The size of temporary storage is 60gb and we are not writing or storing any data here.

Pricing wise we will be charged based on 30gb or 135gb or total space used?

Thanks and regards,

Vinoth Laxmeganthan

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 3:23 AM
  • Hello Vinoth,

The temporary storage provided with each VM has no extra cost associated with it for storage space as well as for transactions.

Temporary storage is “D:” on a Windows VM and it is “/dev/sdb1” on a Linux VM.  

Note: In any Linux distro on Windows Azure, the sdb1 will be the temporary drive to be mounted. The mount point and directory mounted might be different between Linux distros.

You have mentioned “The size of temporary storage is 60gb”; If this is the case then evidently you are using Basic Tier A2 VM.

You may use the pricing calculator to get better insight on the pricing for your VMs:
    https://azure.microsoft.com/en-in/pricing/calculator/

Regards,
    Ajay

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 12:24 PM
  • Good day,

The title of this is misleading as it's was posted by online support chat. My problem is that the data disk attached to A2 shows as 30gb which is the /dev/sda1, by right I should get 135gb?

Filesystem Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda1 29G   28G  376M  99% /
    /dev/sdb1 59G   52M   56G   1% /mnt

Regards,

Vinoth Laxmeganthan

• Proposed as answer by vinothr72 Wednesday, August 10, 2016 8:50 AM
    Monday, August 8, 2016 3:28 AM
  • Hello Vinoth,

Looks like sdb1 is the temporary storage which is displayed 59 GB, so you have deployed A2 Basic size VM; for which temporary disk space is 60 GB and not 135GB (which is for standard).

When you attach data disk, you have the option to specify the size of the disk. https://azure.microsoft.com/en-in/documentation/articles/virtual-machines-linux-attach-disk-portal/

For test, you may try to add another data disk, specify the required disk space and then check.

After you add a data disk, you'll need to log on to the virtual machine and initialize the disk so the virtual machine can use the disk for storage.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-in/documentation/articles/virtual-machines-linux-classic-attach-disk/#initialize-a-new-data-disk-in-linux

Regards,
    Ajay

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 4:40 PM