Windows Device Application for PIR sensor

Question

• I have couple questions related to windows device application for PIR sensor -

1) Does Windows 8 support PIR sensor as one of the sensor for windows 8 device application ?

2) Can a Windows 8 device application be a part of lock screen ?

I wanted to know the feasibility and the guidelines for building such a windows device application.

Thanks,

Ravindra

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 9:54 AM

Answers

• Here is the sample.

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Custom-driver-access-sample-8e7485c9

Once at the link you can download the Windows Device Store App sample and there is also a link to either the KMDF or UMDF sample.  Specialized devices can be accessed from one and only one Windows Store app.  This likely works for your scenario.  However it is important to note that you can not easily write a general purpose DLL or SDK that would allow multiple apps to access your sensor.  You can write an interface for the app that would allow a user to enter a security code and brand the app with logos and names specific to a retailer etc...  However you would need to add the icons and names to the app and update the app each time.  Another option is to furnish a separate PID for each major customer and then they could have their own app... 

Would your device happen to be bluetooth?

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, August 05, 2013 7:15 PM

All replies

• Hi,Ravindra_Babu

Windows 8 support a kind of sensors at present,then you can refer to this link:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh465294.aspx

And Thanks for your advice about PIR sensor,your problem is escalated.we look forward you can get better help!

Thanks!

Anne jing

Thursday, July 25, 2013 6:33 AM
  • Can you explain in more detail,

- Do you mean PIR sensor is not supported or will somebody else reply ?

Can somebody answer my second question

- Can a windows device application be a part of lock screen?

Thanks,

Ravindra 

Monday, July 29, 2013 8:24 AM
  • PIR sensors are not supported by the WinRT API.  Sensor apps are standard apps so they should be fine on the lock screen.  You could write a driver to support PIR sensors on Windows 8 Pro devices.

Best Regards - Eric

Thursday, August 01, 2013 12:58 AM
  • Is there a sample or documentation for windows store apps communication with a specialized device driver like PIR sensor? 
    Monday, August 05, 2013 9:46 AM
  • Here is the sample.

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Custom-driver-access-sample-8e7485c9

Once at the link you can download the Windows Device Store App sample and there is also a link to either the KMDF or UMDF sample.  Specialized devices can be accessed from one and only one Windows Store app.  This likely works for your scenario.  However it is important to note that you can not easily write a general purpose DLL or SDK that would allow multiple apps to access your sensor.  You can write an interface for the app that would allow a user to enter a security code and brand the app with logos and names specific to a retailer etc...  However you would need to add the icons and names to the app and update the app each time.  Another option is to furnish a separate PID for each major customer and then they could have their own app... 

Would your device happen to be bluetooth?

Monday, August 05, 2013 7:15 PM
  • Hi ERIC,

Sorry for not following up, I was caught up with a demo. Yes our device has Bluetooth on our system. Can a Windows Device Store App sit on log in screen? I wanted to show up some updates based on the PIR sensor output. Do let me know, if this is possible.

Monday, September 16, 2013 6:08 AM
  • Does your app key off an event raised by the device, or is the information periodically polled from the device?

Best Wishes - Eric

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 12:31 AM
  • The driver needs to raise an event and send in information back to the application. Polling is a huge overhead, which we dont want to get into.

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 2:44 PM
  • Which bus are you using?

Best Regards - Eric

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 12:24 AM
  • Hi Eric,

We would be using the i2c bus and not usb. Is there a bus dependency for the custom device access ?

Thanks,

Ravindra

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 11:31 AM
  • Hi Eric, 

Any update?

Thanks,

Ravindra

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 3:18 AM