none
word 2013 - status bar used to turn track changes on - need to know when this happens RRS feed

• Question

• My q is trying to work out how to reference the event that comes from using the pop-up status bar menu in word 2013 to turn on track changes.

I can intercept the event when the ribbon button for track changes is clicked, using the onAction

<command idMso="ReviewTrackChanges" onAction="OnActionTrackChanges" getEnabled="GetEnabledTrackChanges"  />

Public Sub OnActionTrackChanges(ByVal control As Office.IRibbonControl, ByVal pressed As Boolean, ByRef cancelDefault As Boolean)       
    M
    sgBox("clicked")
    End Sub

but when the status bar is clicked …. The msg doesn’t show until the ribbon changes à   so I need to issue an Invalidate command --- but I need to know when the status bar item changes – any ideas how to detect this???

dw

• Edited by Di Williams Wednesday, October 21, 2015 11:15 PM
    Wednesday, October 21, 2015 11:14 PM

All replies

• Hi dw,

What do you mean the msg doesn’t show until the ribbon changes? Do you mean you select other tab?

Regards

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, October 22, 2015 9:55 AM
  • Hi dw,

Base on test in VS 2013 with word 2013, the GetEnabled event will be trigger when click REVIEW ribbon tab. The OnAction event will be trigger when click Track Changes button.

The GetEnabled event has the Boolean returned value, we could return true to enable track changes button.

The OnAction event has two parameters with Boolean type, check pressed parameter value to know whether track changes turn on or off, the cancelDefault parameter could be set to false.

If it doesn’t work for you, please create a new project and check whether it works.

Regards

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, October 23, 2015 5:53 AM
  • Yes this is the behaviour that I am already doing. My question is to how to also catch the event that gets triggered when the track changes is turned on via the status bar at the bottom.

dw

Friday, October 23, 2015 6:02 AM
  • Hi Starain, yes if I select track changes ON via the status bar, I do not know which event is triggered.   But if I then click on another tab and then click back to the Review tab (where I added my button) then it is triggered, because I am capturing that event.

dw

Friday, October 23, 2015 6:04 AM
  • Hi dw,

Base on my test, the result is same to you. In my opinion, there isn’t a better way to capture that event if we change it on the status bar, we need to change it in the ribbon.

Regards

Starain

Monday, October 26, 2015 2:22 AM
  • Thanks Starain, but I am wanting to capture it on both events - I already have code to detect when someone turns track changes on via the ribbon, but I also need to know when someone turns track changes on via the status bar - I am developing a small tweak to the track changes and if I can't detect track changes being turned on via the status bar then it is not worth doing.

Many users in our workplace use the status bar to turn track changes off and on, so I need to be able to detect it from there. I assume there must be an event or something that I can intercept, but I do not know what it is.   

Thanks

Di

dw

Monday, October 26, 2015 3:12 AM
  • Hi,

I'm trying to involve some senior engineers into this issue and it will take some time. Your patience will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Starain

Monday, October 26, 2015 3:28 AM
  • Great - thanks very much Starain - I really appreciate your assistance!

dw

Monday, October 26, 2015 3:30 AM
  • To explain it another way...

The action that I am doing is to click the status bar at the bottom of word 2013 window. I open a document and the HOME ribbon by default displays. The status bar reports TRACK CHANGES: OFF and so I click it to change to TRACK CHANGES: ON.   Track changes is indeed turned on but because I have not clicked over to the REVIEW ribbon, nothing is begin triggered.   If I manually click the review ribbon then I can GetEnabled will trigger.   I want to be able to check for track changes being turned on, without needing to manually change to the REVIEW ribbon.

dw

Monday, January 25, 2016 6:07 AM