Expression Web 4, Design View does not update RRS feed

• Question

• I used to use Dreamweaver a lot. I used to use a Macintosh a lot. My Macintosh failed and I replaced it with a Windows 7 64 bit PC.

I decided to make use of Expression Web 4, it was much less cost than Dreamweaver.

When I make changes in the Styles Panel, more often than not, the text in Design View completely looses all styles. If I close the file and re-open the file, Design View then shows the proper styling for the text.

On occasion, Design View does not reflect changes made in the Styles Panel. Again, closing and re-opening the file makes Design View display properly.

The behaviour I am reporting is a BUG and this is a BUG REPORT!

Saturday, November 12, 2011 1:05 AM

All replies

• Just in case anyone cares,

My platform is, Windows 7, 64 bit. Expression Web 4, Service Pack 2 and all my applications and Windows OS are all completely up to date.

Saturday, November 12, 2011 1:06 AM
  • This is a user-to-user forum. We don't do bug reports; we're users, just like you. For bug reports, you go to MS Connect.

But it's not a bug. It doesn't happen to me and I've used all 4 versions of EW and use EW4 on an almost daily basis. It is not something that I recollect exactly happening in the past 2 years that I've been in this forum, so tens of thousands--hundreds of thousands--of people are using this program without experiencing what you report.

Does it do it on all the sites you work on? Just some sites? All pages? Just some pages? HTML pages? PHP pages? ASPX pages? External style sheet? Pages created in Dreamweaver? Pages created in EW? DWT-based? Drewmweaver DWT-based? Frames? Which Styles Panel--is it the Manage Styles Panel or the Apply Styles Panel? Etc.

You really haven't given us anything to work with, if you want help.

Post a link to a page that gives you problems. We can't help without seeing it in situ, with all the parts working together.

I should note that for some changes to be reflected in the Design Pane, you must first click in the Design Pane, whether it's changes in the Code Pane or one of the panels. You must first bring focus to the Design Pane.

The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and asks the guy behind the counter, "Can you make me one with everything?"
    • Edited by Bill Pearson Saturday, November 12, 2011 2:57 AM
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 2:56 AM
  • "The behaviour I am reporting is a BUG and this is a BUG REPORT"

Actually, not. This is a user-to-user form. Report bugs at Microsoft. I think here:

http://connect.microsoft.com/

ClarkNK, A.K.A. HomePage Doctor
    HomePageDoctor.com -- Expression Web database tutorials
    Ownertrades.com -- Created with FP, Access, Bots and Wizards
    LawOfAllTheLand.org -- Created with Expression, VWDExress, SQL Express, and ASP.NET.
    Arvixe -- My favored web host
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 12:39 PM
  • The behaviour I am reporting is a BUG and this is a BUG REPORT

No, the behavior you are reporting is other than what you expect, but that does not make it a bug. Bugs are program flaws that are usually reproducible using standard installations of the program. I have never observed this behavior, nor have others in the three years I have participated here in this forum.

I believe that Bill may have hit the nail with his last suggestion. For changes (edits) not made within the design pane, including edits made in code view, for those changes to actually appear in design view, you must either focus the design pane or press F5 to refresh the view. This is by design; otherwise, design view would be flickering madly, trying to follow changes made in code view as they are typed in, edited, deleted...

If you suspect that you have indeed found a bug, first, ask here (rather than asserting it is a bug). We may be able to explain why you are seeing what you are seeing. Many of us have worked with EW for years, and we've seen most of the behaviors before which have actually been determined to be bugs, and others which might appear to be so due to inexperience with the program, but which are actually designed behavior.

If the behavior does turn out to appear to be a bug, the place to report it is at Microsoft Connect, not here. This is a user-to-user forum, and we can't do a damned thing about reported bugs. BTW, these are things you would already know if you had done as you were supposed to have done and read the Forum FAQs and Guidelines before you posted.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 1:57 PM
  • The style change is not applied until the page or CSS file is saved / refreshed, that is normal because EW design view is actually showing a page that is cached here:
    %UserProfile?%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Microsoft Expression Web 4
    the cached page is not dynamically refreshed when styles are edited.

Expression Web MVP
    • Edited by Steve Easton Saturday, November 12, 2011 2:19 PM
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 2:19 PM
  • Thanks, Steve. I figured that something like that must be in play, since hitting F5 following an edit always updates design view, but I didn't know where the actual cached file was located.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 2:26 PM
  • FYI, this is not the place to make bug reports, that is at http://connect.microsoft.com under the Expression Studio feedback section. This is a user user forum.

If you provided a bit more information perhaps someone could help you with your issue since I don't have to reload the page for style changes to be shown. I do have to click in design view after changing the style in either code view, on the external stylesheet or using one of the Expression Web style panels such as the CSS properties panel.

There are quite a few people here who regularly use both Expression Web and Dreamweaver and many who work on both Macs and PCs so instead of claiming something is a "bug" you might ask about the problem including what circumstances trigger the isse. The most common failure to update the page issue we see is when someone is not working in a locally defined site on their computer but either on a network share accessed through a unc path (\\server\site\files) or some other remmote location especially when that path is not mapped to a drive letter on the user's machine but without more information it is little more than WAGging (Wild Arsed Guessing) going on eev with Steve's comment about temp files though that is related to why remotely accessed sites have issues with updating.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com
    • Proposed as answer by hdexpress Wednesday, March 7, 2012 7:38 PM
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 3:14 PM