none
Notification to Project Manager if project activity finished in MS Project Pro 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All

Is there any possibility of linking Task from One project to another project in MS Project Pro 2013?

Case 1) If i have one Project A & i am a manager of that Project whereas there is one more Project B along with Project Manager B. So in that case, if there are multiple Task in Project A but some task are predecessor of Project B. So, how can i link such task for different Project.

Case 2) can we send some notification (Mails) to another Project manager from Project Pro 2013 that Task from Project A has finished & you can start your Project B?

Kindly suggest..

Thursday, November 6, 2014 6:52 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You didn't mention if you are using project server?

1. You can link tasks from one project to tasks in another project. This can be done either by:

-  inserting both projects in a temporary master project and link the tasks as you normally do and at the end do not save the master project but save the changes to the projects

- in the predecessor column enter ProjectName\taskid (e.g. Project1\12)

the user must be able to edit both projects in order to link the tasks

2. The options I can think of:

- report with reporting services that is via email to the other project manager (applicable if you are using project server)

- VBA macro

Hope this helps

Paul

Thursday, November 6, 2014 10:23 AM
  • Thanks Paul,

I am using Project Server as well but we want to try this option instead of going for PWA 2013.

Do you have any info on how to achieve Option 2 through VBA? Bcz in option 1, we dont want that every project managers can see other's project information.

Thursday, November 6, 2014 11:19 AM
  • Hi,

You can add the macro in MS Project and the project manager can run that when the tasks are updated and an email can be sent. I know I discussed with someone on the forum about a similar macro, I'll see if I can find it.

On the reporting services option, the project manager does not have to see all the projects. The email can be sent just with the details of predecessor task from the other project to the manager of dependent project

Another options you may consider for the email notifications are:

- event handler (e.g. onProjectPublish)

- powerShell script (something that runs in the background and checks for the dependent projects and checks the emails accordingly)

Paul

Friday, November 7, 2014 1:44 PM