none
Intel Galileo in Visual Studio can't deploy and debug RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello

    I got Intel Galileo from Microsoft IoT program, connection is working, I can ping it, watch files on SD card, do something via Telnet, etc. Microsoft gives SDK for Galileo in Visual Studio Express 2013. I installed it and configure as they told on their site, so I wanted to launch "Hello world" blinking LED app from their site, debugging over ethernet. I press F5 or click Debug in Visual Studio, it writes me "Operation is taking longer than expected" so I waited for 5, 10 and 15 minutes but nothing happend. Only writes in console "1>------ Deploy started: Project: Blink, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------", but nothing more.

    I turned off all firewalls, it doesn't helped. I tried to change settings of debugging, replacing Remote Server Name from mygalileo to ip adress 169.254.172.37, nothing helped. When I kill remote debugger app (msvsmon.exe) on Galileo, debugging process doesn't starts (when it was turned on, it tried to do something), so it can see this app on device but can't get along together.

    After cancelling debug procces it writes me:

    1>Error: Unable to deploy local file 'C:\Users\PC\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Projects\Galileo Wiring App1\Debug\Blink.exe' (remote file path 'c:\test\Blink.exe')
    ========== Deploy: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

    When I launch program manually via Telnet, LED blinks as program says without problems.  What could be wrong? Any tips?

    Greets,

    Marcin





    • Edited by MeshoPL Wednesday, August 6, 2014 7:57 PM
    Wednesday, August 6, 2014 7:47 PM

Answers

  • Are you still having this issue? I had this exact problem and the issue has been fixed. When I was debugging the problem, I went to Task Manager, to kill Galileo Watcher, and Galileo Watcher was not actually called "Galileo Watcher". In fact, the name was blank so the firewall did not recognize it. I would recommend the following steps:

    1. Uninstall the Galileo tool kit -> Not required but I like to do this anyway

    2. Running a repair on Visual Studio 2013 -> Also not required but I like to do this anyway

    3. Install the latest version of the Windows On Devices tools from Connect -> This should overwrite the previous toolkit

    Once you complete the above steps, redo the getting started steps and grant Galileo Watcher the rights through the firewall and it should now work. 

    Friday, October 24, 2014 4:42 PM
    Moderator

All replies

  • I had the same issue.

    Fairly sure it was because i didnt tick the bottom 2 firewall settings when the Galileo watcher ran first time.

    Manually updating the firewall made no difference.

    As for my fix it was to uninstall the Galileo watcher - reinstall and tick all three firewall options then then it was happy.

    Wednesday, August 13, 2014 2:43 PM
  • Hello!

    I'm quite exhausted with this issue. I've turned OFF all firewalls, but I tried to reinstall Galileo watcher also, tick everything you told (did you mean like on screen?) when firewall asks, but problem isn't still resolved. Probably reason of it is not here.

    When I watch over msvsmon.exe process in Telnet, there is no reaction when I start debugging. When I start msvsmon.exe in no authentication mode and try to debug in noauth mode, it crashes at the beginning BUT leaves message in Telnet:

    [15:53:57] Failed attempt to connect from PC.


    • Edited by MeshoPL Wednesday, August 13, 2014 3:48 PM
    Wednesday, August 13, 2014 3:45 PM
  • Are you still having this issue? I had this exact problem and the issue has been fixed. When I was debugging the problem, I went to Task Manager, to kill Galileo Watcher, and Galileo Watcher was not actually called "Galileo Watcher". In fact, the name was blank so the firewall did not recognize it. I would recommend the following steps:

    1. Uninstall the Galileo tool kit -> Not required but I like to do this anyway

    2. Running a repair on Visual Studio 2013 -> Also not required but I like to do this anyway

    3. Install the latest version of the Windows On Devices tools from Connect -> This should overwrite the previous toolkit

    Once you complete the above steps, redo the getting started steps and grant Galileo Watcher the rights through the firewall and it should now work. 

    Friday, October 24, 2014 4:42 PM
    Moderator