DOCTYPE for all pages of FrontPage conversion of frames site RRS feed

• Question

• I'm converting a FrontPage website to Expressions Web 4. The FP site uses frames - the index.htm page sets up a 2-frame environment (a navigation frame and a content display frame). All other files (1500 or so) display in either the content frame or in an external page outside the frame structure (depending on the <a> tag). My question concerns the DOCTYPE statement. A DOCTYPE statement for framesets appears logical, but this doesn't allow for <body> tags in all the other files. Do I use a frameset DOCTYPE in the index.htm file and a different DOCTYPE in all the other pages? Or if I use a frameset DOCTYPE on all pages, what do I do about the <body> tag? And the anchor tag appears to be a secondary issue, in that it appears that unless a page has a frameset DOCTYPE, the attribute to display a linked file in an external window is not allowed.

Thanks so much, mstansifer

Monday, July 23, 2012 5:19 PM

All replies

• I won't even begin to try and answer the question.  All I can say is: don't use frames!

You can put common navigation on pages with a server-side include file.  No need for frames.   (You can use a DWT or design side includes, too, but for a site of that size, the logistics of making updates to them - you'd have to republish all the pages - would argue against them.)

Monday, July 23, 2012 5:24 PM
  • Amen to that! Frames were a bad idea even back in the heyday of FrontPage, and they still are, or even more so with the current emphasis on SEO. I agree with Kathy that Server Side Includes (SSI) or PHP includes (built-in to EW, and I prefer them) are the way to go. You can easily duplicate the functionality of the frame-based pages without falling prey to all of the pitfalls.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, July 23, 2012 9:14 PM