none
Configuring Office Application Logging RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a setting to enable application event logging in office applications?

We want to detect when a corrupt Word or Excel file is attempted to be opened by our automated script. 

Thanks

-tom

-Tom

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 4:04 PM

Answers

• both Visio and Word have an option (advanced) to "confirm file format conversion on open". In Visio's case it's a text file that can be examined with warnings/errors. I haven't found a version for either Powerpoint or Excel.

al

If this answer solves your problem, please check Mark as Answered. If this answer helps, please click the Vote as Helpful button. Al Edlund Visio MVP

• Marked as answer by Bruce Song Friday, April 6, 2012 5:39 AM
    Wednesday, March 28, 2012 8:06 PM

All replies

• both Visio and Word have an option (advanced) to "confirm file format conversion on open". In Visio's case it's a text file that can be examined with warnings/errors. I haven't found a version for either Powerpoint or Excel.

al

If this answer solves your problem, please check Mark as Answered. If this answer helps, please click the Vote as Helpful button. Al Edlund Visio MVP

• Marked as answer by Bruce Song Friday, April 6, 2012 5:39 AM
    Wednesday, March 28, 2012 8:06 PM
  • Tom, how about the problem on your side? Does the suggestion help you?

As far as I know, Office does not expose the option for us to log the information. If the application crashes, we can view the log information from the Event Viewer. We can't log the information when open a corrupt Excel or word file.

Best Regards,

Bruce Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, April 2, 2012 6:02 AM