Mirroring Error with FQDN RRS feed

• Question

• i have two machines and i am setting up the mirroring,on the last step when i click start mirroring i get "one or more of the server network addresses lacks a fully qualified domain name fqdn". and my machine is not in some domain,the workgroup name is abc.

If i do the following steps will it work? do i need to put in local in ""Primary DNS Suffix of this Computer""

Please help

1. Right click on the "My Computer" then properties.
    2. Click on the "computer name" tab, then click on the change button next to the "To Rename this computer or join a domain, click change"
    3. then you see the "Computer name changes" window, click the "More" button on it.
    4. You will see the "DNS suffix and NetBIOS ComputerName" window. Here, type "local" to the "Primary DNS Suffix of this Computer" textbox.
    5. then press OK 3 times and restart computer.

nitin
    Sunday, March 28, 2010 7:05 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please check this thread http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqldatabasemirroring/thread/8532f3e2-f248-4665-82e0-e317a8e8f79e

Also, you can use T-SQL commands to configure your mirroring, it is always working.

I hope it helps.

J.

There are 10 type of people. Who knows binary and who does not.
    Sunday, March 28, 2010 7:19 AM
  • Thanks, i am already following this link.

What i need to understand is that i have two boxes and it is nt a standalone machine, so do i need to put in "Local" in Primary DNS Suffix of this Computer"" and i have a different workgroup called abc.

will putting in local work?

Regards

nitin
    Sunday, March 28, 2010 7:23 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, it will work. However if you do not want to add dns suffix you can configure your mirroring with system stored proedures. You can find a pretty nice scenario in this article to configure your mirroring with stored procedures: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc917680.aspx

I hope it helps.

J.

Sunday, March 28, 2010 7:31 AM
  • Thanks Janos,  One last question?i need to put in "local" on both the servers? right?

Regards

nitin
    Sunday, March 28, 2010 7:35 AM
  • Yes, you are right. Put "local" on both servers. Please let me know if it works.

Janos

Sunday, March 28, 2010 7:36 AM
  • Sure, will reply back in next 24 hours.

Thanks again

Regards

nitin
    Sunday, March 28, 2010 7:37 AM
  • Principal:tcp://xyz.local:5022

Mirror:tcp://abc2:5022

I have changed the local on both the servers and restarted the servers but on the last screen i dont see local prefixed on to mirror server and i get the same error.

Please help

nitin
    Monday, March 29, 2010 5:43 AM
  • Hi,

In this case you may use T-SQL to configre your mirroring session:

--run on mirror server
    ALTER DATABASE yourDB SET PARTNER = 'TCP://original_server:5022'
    --run on principal server
    ALTER DATABASE yourDB SET PARTNER = 'TCP://mirror_server:5022'
    ALTER DATABASE yourDB SET WITNESS = 'TCP://witness_server:5022'

I hope this helps.

Thanks

J.

Monday, March 29, 2010 5:46 AM
  • you meant on the last screen i should click do not start mirroring and then i should run this?

Nitin

nitin
    Monday, March 29, 2010 6:01 AM
  • No. You must use these procedures to configure your mirroring, instead of using the GUI.

Here is a pretty nice article about it: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms175883.aspx

I hope it helps.

J.

Monday, March 29, 2010 6:09 AM
  • fyip,

My sql server agent is running under local system account? is this fine?

Regards

nitin
    Monday, March 29, 2010 5:27 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for my late reply. It should be fine if you are using SQL or certificate based authenication for the mirroring endpoints.

J.

Monday, April 5, 2010 6:41 AM