none
Time Zone Conversion RRS feed

• Question

• I have a dataset that collects downtime minutes of internet service by an internet provider. This provider is on the U.S. East coast EST and has customers in England, India and Hong Kong.

I need to create some type of query, calculated field, filter or parameter that allows the user after filtering to show events for their country to determine if the downtime event happened before or after their business hours, for example, 08:00 AM and 17:00 PM in the customer's time zone.

Thank you for your help!
    Wednesday, April 4, 2018 3:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The way I have handled a similar situation before was to store the user's time zone in a configuration table.

You can then calculate the GMT from the server's time and then adjust it based on the user's time zone.

I am not sure but it may be possible to determine the user's time zone based on the machine's Regional Settings by either reading the Registry or using API.

Hope it helps...

Wednesday, April 4, 2018 3:17 AM
  • The differences between the local times in other times zones and EST in the US could be computed on the local systems by relating both to Coordinated Universal Time (UTC), by calling the Windows API GetSystemTime function.  As you are dealing with only a few countries, however, there is little point in doing so, as it is a trivial task to maintain a table of the differences.

It's not quite so straightforward, unfortunately, the fly in the ointment being that Daylight Saving Time or its equivalent  is not standardised internationally.  I believe that here in the UK British Summer Time starts on the same date as Daylight Saving Time in the US, but finishes on different dates.  I've no idea what the situation is in India or Hong Kong.

So, you'd also need to record the start and end dates of Daylight Saving Time or its equivalent in each country, and make the appropriate adjustments on the basis of these.

Ken Sheridan, Stafford, England

Wednesday, April 4, 2018 9:59 PM
  • Hi Databasico,

Is your issue solved?

I find that you did not follow up this thread after posting the issue.

If your issue is solved then I suggest you to post your solution and mark it as an answer.

If your issue is still exist then try to refer the solution given by the community members.

If then also you have any further questions then let us know about it.

We will try to provide further suggestions to solve the issue.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 10, 2018 9:06 AM