Passing Data to a Cell in Excel RRS feed

• Question

• User522919602 posted

Hello,

I have a webpage that is created in Visual Studio 2008 and programmed in C#.

I have a web form that prompts the user to enter a value into a text box.  For now, I do not have any validation on that field (I will be adding that later).

I need to pass the value that the user has entered to cell C1 of the excel spreadsheet (user_info.xls).

I understand that using excel is not ideal, but unforutnately need to try to make this work with the excel spreadsheet.

I do not have any code for this yet, because I honestly do not know how to begin.

The action of poulating the excel spreadsheet will be intialized from the On Click event of a Submit button.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your assistance,

Allison

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 7:35 PM

Answers

• User-624088818 posted

Try below code to insert the data into cells of excel

static void Main(string[] args)
            {
                excel.Application excelApp = new Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Application();
                object missing = Type.Missing;
                excel.Range xlRange;
                excel.Sheets xlSheets = null;
                excel.Worksheet xlSheet = null;
                excel.Workbook xlWorkbook = null;

xlWorkbook = excelApp.Workbooks.Open("D:\\test.xls", missing, missing, missing,
                                                missing, missing, missing, missing, missing, missing, missing,
                                                missing, missing, missing, missing);

xlSheets = (excel.Sheets)xlWorkbook.Sheets;
                xlSheet = (excel.Worksheet)xlSheets[1];

for (int iRow = 1; iRow <= 3; iRow++)
                {
                    xlRange = (Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Range)xlSheet.Cells[iRow, 1];
                    xlRange.Value2 = "Cell"+iRow;
                    xlRange = (Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Range)xlSheet.Cells[iRow, 2];
                    xlRange.Value2 = "Cell" + iRow;
                    xlRange = (Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Range)xlSheet.Cells[iRow, 3];
                    xlRange = (Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Range)xlSheet.Cells[iRow, 4];
                }
                xlWorkbook.Save();
                xlWorkbook.Close(missing, missing, missing);
    }

"Microsoft does not currently recommend, and does not support, Automation of Microsoft Office applications from any unattended, non-interactive client application or component (including ASP, ASP.NET, DCOM, and NT Services), because Office may exhibit unstable behavior and/or deadlock when Office is run in this environment.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 7:27 AM

All replies

• User-624088818 posted

Try below code to insert the data into cells of excel

static void Main(string[] args)
            {
                excel.Application excelApp = new Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Application();
                object missing = Type.Missing;
                excel.Range xlRange;
                excel.Sheets xlSheets = null;
                excel.Worksheet xlSheet = null;
                excel.Workbook xlWorkbook = null;

xlWorkbook = excelApp.Workbooks.Open("D:\\test.xls", missing, missing, missing,
                                                missing, missing, missing, missing, missing, missing, missing,
                                                missing, missing, missing, missing);

xlSheets = (excel.Sheets)xlWorkbook.Sheets;
                xlSheet = (excel.Worksheet)xlSheets[1];

for (int iRow = 1; iRow <= 3; iRow++)
                {
                    xlRange = (Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Range)xlSheet.Cells[iRow, 1];
                    xlRange.Value2 = "Cell"+iRow;
                    xlRange = (Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Range)xlSheet.Cells[iRow, 2];
                    xlRange = (Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Range)xlSheet.Cells[iRow, 3];
                    xlRange = (Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Range)xlSheet.Cells[iRow, 4];
                }
                xlWorkbook.Save();
                xlWorkbook.Close(missing, missing, missing);
    }

"Microsoft does not currently recommend, and does not support, Automation of Microsoft Office applications from any unattended, non-interactive client application or component (including ASP, ASP.NET, DCOM, and NT Services), because Office may exhibit unstable behavior and/or deadlock when Office is run in this environment.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 7:27 AM
  • User522919602 posted

Thank you so much!!!

This is great, I will give it a shot and let you know.

Allison

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 11:11 AM
  • User1941662514 posted

Hi

By the nice post, i really appciate it. can you translate it to Visual Basic not in C#

Thursday, August 12, 2010 4:45 AM