Please Tell what is happening with axum RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Axum Developers

would you please inform as to what is going on with axum project

why is this important feature/language of actor based concurreny being taken so

lightly or so it seems ( apolozies if that is not the case ).

how long i have to wait before it become a production product.

Thankyou

RIGHT_THEN

Sunday, June 27, 2010 6:54 AM

Answers

• Hello Right Then,

I'm sorry to hear that you feel we're not taking Axum seriously enough. We feel that we've been pretty upfront about its status from the beginning, that is, it's an incubation project, released and announced publically unusually early and that we made it pretty clear there was no commitment to ever ship it as a product.

We continue to be encouraged by the download statistics and the interest coming in from various directions for talks and presentations on Axum, but as I discussed in this post, we're not sure what to do with it yet. It may be that we ship it as a product, or we may release it as open source software, or we may can it. I apologize for not being able to be more specific at this point in time.

Thanks for your continued interest,

Niklas Gustafsson

Friday, July 2, 2010 11:48 PM

All replies

• Hello Right Then,

I'm sorry to hear that you feel we're not taking Axum seriously enough. We feel that we've been pretty upfront about its status from the beginning, that is, it's an incubation project, released and announced publically unusually early and that we made it pretty clear there was no commitment to ever ship it as a product.

We continue to be encouraged by the download statistics and the interest coming in from various directions for talks and presentations on Axum, but as I discussed in this post, we're not sure what to do with it yet. It may be that we ship it as a product, or we may release it as open source software, or we may can it. I apologize for not being able to be more specific at this point in time.

Thanks for your continued interest,

Niklas Gustafsson

Friday, July 2, 2010 11:48 PM
  • Dear Mr. Niklas,

Thanks for the reply, read the link you pointed to, liked the title. Sad to read that only two developers you and Mr. Artur are working for this technology and that both are overburdened with other commitments also. It would be wonderful thou to see it in its maturity and please don’t don’t let it die.

I have few humble requests  to make after reading the points you listed that you would like to do if it were to be released

1) if you were to implement discriminated union please provide a syntax that would work for C# people also, instead (of/along with) a ML kind of syntax which you mentioned. It seems bending towards F# indented syntax which is so cumbersome for curly people (with due apologies to indented syntax people I accept their superiority unconditionally) or are you talking about verbose ML kind syntax . Nemerle language seems to have implemented pattern matching with curly syntax and even Scala.

2) Whenever if ever you think it is ready to be released please release/publish a book right along with it about this software explaining its aspects better. so there is less of head burn implementing and using it 

3)Please post more videos of it (Whenever) . I have seen its videos of PDC and one other, I liked them but they are usually from conferences or tours in which most time goes by explaining why of it, then other similar technology comparison. which is important because you are addressing new group of people who should be explained all that but by the time we are about to know how to code in it the time is usually over or very little time is left for it and I am left wanting to know more about it from coding perspective. 2 or more videos explaining concepts and coding for them would be really helpful. 

In the end while you are developing it don’t forget/ignore the  curly{ } syntax people or whatever syntax it is please keep an option for syntax where blocks and statements can be clearly defined, ( in nutshell something other than indentation ).  F# has verbose syntax too but hardly any proper documentation for it and when one applies it , it is a battle in itself. Axum needs more reference material for it both in text and in video whenever you think it is appropriate but especially if you release it.

May you be Ever Happy

Thanking You
    RIGHT_THEN

Saturday, July 3, 2010 3:08 PM
  • How about to share Axum at CodePlex as some of .NET 4.0 components before it release? Because it will be good to have real issues tracking system, not just a forum. I think CodePlex will improve Axum popularity. Thanks.
    SDE, Lime Systems
    Saturday, August 21, 2010 3:03 PM
  • I think you are right, Alexadr. Open-sourcing Axum is one of our possible course of action. We're still working on a strategy.

Niklas

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 4:29 PM