UWP Adding additional App Capability - will existing users have to manually update? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a UWP app already on the Windows Store, which already has the Internet (Client) capability.

However, I have recently discovered that this capability does not allow the app the connect to the internet over VPN, something which many more people are doing in recent weeks.

I therefore need to add the Private Networks (Client & Server) capability.

But I was wondering if this will require existing users to manually update and grant permission for the new capability. E.g. will existing users be stuck on the final version without Private Networks (Client & Server) unless they manually visit the store and choose to specifically upgrade the app?

Thanks for any help.

Chris Shields

Sunday, May 3, 2020 7:10 AM

All replies

• Hi Chris Shields,
    >will existing users have to manually update?
    It requires users to manually update the app from Store. You add the Private Networks (Client & Server) capability in your manifest, and it means that your package has changed. So you need to make a update submission for releasing the updated package for your app. The users must update the package form store to get the updated app. If I misunderstand your question, please point out.

Best regards

Daisy Tian

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 4, 2020 2:38 AM
  • Hi Daisy,

I am aware that I'll have to make a new submission with the Private Networks (Client & Server) capability in the manifest. My question specifically is whether this will stop the auto-update functionality which is provided through the Windows Store. Presumably the user would have to manually update and would be stuck on the last version of the app without the Private Networks capability until they manually do so. Would they get an update notification instead?

Cheers

Chris

Chris Shields

Monday, May 4, 2020 7:43 AM
  • Hi Chris,

The capability in the manifest doesn't affect the update apps automatically functionality in the Store.If your users get the app from the Windows Store, and your changes to manifest should not affect their update.

Best regards

Daisy  Tian

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 5, 2020 3:13 AM
  • So they don't have to grant permission for the added Private Networks (Client & Server) capability? The app just auto-updates as normal?

Chris Shields

Tuesday, May 5, 2020 4:58 AM
  • Hi Chris,

If you had add the capabilities in your manifest, then package app and publish it to the Store, your customer could update their app from the Store with the updated manifest. Do I misunderstand your question?

Best regards

Daisy  Tian

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, May 5, 2020 5:56 AM
  • Yes, I am specifically asking whether the auto-update would happen automatically, just as it does when there is no change to the capabilities in the manifest.

Chris Shields

Tuesday, May 5, 2020 6:38 AM
  • Hi Chris,

App's manifest will has no effect on the Store auto-update function.

Best regards

Daisy  Tian

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, May 6, 2020 7:01 AM
  • The simple answer is Yes.

Yes your users would have to manually update the app.

As a workaround you can send a message to the users to update manually. You could send a message with a link to the update page of the app.

Monday, June 1, 2020 3:36 PM
  • Are you sure? This is the precise opposite of the answer I was given previously.

Chris Shields

Monday, June 1, 2020 4:45 PM