How to backup Azure Virtual Machines RRS feed

• Question

• I have seen similar posts and maybe it is my lack of understanding preventing me from getting my head around this, but....

I have 4 VM's in Azure that are being used as apart of a project with a customer. There is a web server, a sql server, an app server and a DC. All of them work just fine.

We are looking to do some test upgrades and code roll outs and want to know how to back up each of these VMs in case disaster strikes, or we screw up, or what have you and we want to restore.

I see i can power them off and snapshot in the portal, but, is that the only option?

what if I corrupt the vm badly and want to start over from where i started that day? can I schedule snapshots to happen nightly somehow? 

I would appreciate some insight from those who have been there done that.

I have no desire to backup down to local or move vhds back and forth, it takes far too long so backing up to somewhere else in azure for faster action and faster restore is ideal. 

thanks to all in advance who reply with more than a url. ;-P

Rich

Friday, August 15, 2014 5:35 PM

Answers

• Hello Rich,

Thanks for posting here!

You can follow the below steps to take a backup of the VHD.

  Copy the associated VHD using the below tool –
      Download clumsyleaf cloudxplorer tool : http://clumsyleaf.com/products/cloudxplorer
      Navigate to the storage account where the VHD file is present.
      In the tool, right click on the VHD file and rename it. This will create a copy of the VHD file (backup).                 

Go to the disk section on the portal and create a new disk.  
      Navigate to the same storage account in the prompt and choose the backed up VHD for creating a new disk.

 Using the disk, you will be able to create a new VM.
        New -> From gallery -> disks

Hope that helps!

Let me know if you have any query.

Best Regards,

Sadiqh Ahmed

Monday, August 18, 2014 9:11 AM

All replies

• Hello Rich,

Thanks for posting here!

You can follow the below steps to take a backup of the VHD.

  Copy the associated VHD using the below tool –
      Download clumsyleaf cloudxplorer tool : http://clumsyleaf.com/products/cloudxplorer
      Navigate to the storage account where the VHD file is present.
      In the tool, right click on the VHD file and rename it. This will create a copy of the VHD file (backup).                 

Go to the disk section on the portal and create a new disk.  
      Navigate to the same storage account in the prompt and choose the backed up VHD for creating a new disk.

 Using the disk, you will be able to create a new VM.
        New -> From gallery -> disks

Hope that helps!

Let me know if you have any query.

Best Regards,

Sadiqh Ahmed

Monday, August 18, 2014 9:11 AM
  • I'm marking the above post as answer and archiving this thread. If you still have any queries please unmark as answer or create a new forum support case.

Regards,

Sadiqh Ahmed

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 2:06 PM