none
The pulling of Windows containers is extremely slow RRS feed

• Question

• I think the registry mcr.microsoft.com is lacking CDN in China. I has been pulling the base image mcr.microsoft.com/windows/servercore:1903 for several minutes but it only downloaded 1.089MB.

Pulling other images from hub.docker.com is much faster (up to 50Mbps).

How can I pull the Windows images in a acceptable speed?
    Tuesday, October 29, 2019 8:29 AM

All replies

• Greetings,

My workarounds:

1. Using a proxy server

2. Start a VM on azure, pull and save the images, then bypy(a command line tool for pan.baidu.com) the images.

Sic Parvis Magna

Tuesday, November 5, 2019 1:17 AM
  • i am experience the same issue in China. half day is passed, while the pull for mcr.microsoft.com/windows/servercore:1809-amd64 is still not finished. this is making docker based on windows is not usable here.

trying to learn MFC,ATL.

Thursday, November 14, 2019 6:45 AM
  • We have been experiencing the exact same issue here in China for months.

Aliyun or Docker CN have docker mirrors in China so we are OK to download public docker images, after Microsoft migrated all their docker images back to MCR we encountered countless issues downloading Microsoft docker images like dotnet core sdk or asp.net core sdk due to the slow downloading speed.

I understand Microsoft tried to use MCR to centrally manage all MSFT's docker images and that is a great intention, but lacking of consideration and execution details of deploy MCR CDNs (especially for some regions in the world like China) really ruined the great idea.

I suggest:

1. Add CDN in China for MCR images, or

2. Consider generating replica images on docker hub like what ElasticSearch does, those images' Dockerfiles contain nothing but only FROM statement and then publish the images on docker hub so other mirrors worldwide can successfully sync the images.

Not sure why Microsoft hasn't solved the issue in months, if there were not many feedbacks from China users regarding the issue then my complain here should be consider one.

Monday, January 13, 2020 4:13 AM