Default partitioning scheme

Question

• This may be a silly question and may have been answered previously, but is GPT the default partitioning scheme for Windows 8?  I only ask because when I installed Developers Preview and viewed the physical disk at the byte level, it appears to be GPT - the first physical sector is the MBR and then at PS 2048, there's a backup MBR and at PS 2049, it looks like it's GPT, but the signature EFI is not present.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 1:41 PM

All replies

• It would've been great! I'll add that it doesn't seem to be possible to boot from a GPT when installing to a VHD. I mean that you can't create a GPT partition on the VHD.

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 3:13 PM
  • Thanks for the response!  I installed Windows 8 on a wiped basic disk on a different computer, so it is the only OS running - I'm not using a VM.  So, I'm still wondering if Windows 8 defaults to GPT on the install.  Thanks again!

acft108

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 3:49 PM
  • All of my Win 8 installs (both physical and virtual) have been standard MBR.
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 1:10 AM
  • Thanks for responding - I really appreciate the input.  GPT also has an MBR so that legacy software, like disk utilities, will still function, so I am also seeing an MBR.  I'm not doubting you, I'm really just trying to figure out which is the default partitioning scheme - MBR or GPT?

acft108

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 11:51 AM