LS Desktop - Best practice with open screens and refresh RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

My client is confused because saving a screen can impact others and he does not know if/when he has to refresh. Hence he wants to limitate the app to one opened screen at a time which isn't a good idea as the info on one screen can help him take decision on another. I could also refresh all open screens when saving one but i) it slows down the app ii) other screens may have some unchanged data.

So what do you recommend as a est practice re open screen and refresh? :-)

Tks.

François

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 5:54 PM

All replies

• Hi francois.m

To refresh a screen, it's recommanded to learn the mechanism of communicate across LightSwitch screens, here is an example below:

• Setup the modal picker on our new order screen to use a screen query instead of the automatic query.
    • Creating an event on our application object that we raise whenever a new customer is added.
    • Handling the event in our new order screen and refreshing the list of customers.

How to Communicate Across LightSwitch Screens (Sheel Shah)

Best regards

Angie

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, December 16, 2013 11:22 AM
  • Tks for the reply and the link Angie.

However, it's not so much the mechanism that interests me but what behavior is recommended as a best practice.

Say you have a stock screem with all your items in store, as well as buy and sell screens. Would you update the stock screen when closing a buy or sell screen? Would you even auto-refresh the stock screen every n minutes because other users may have modified it? Or can there be a mechanism that indicates the user that the screen needs to be refreshed?

Surely many have faced these questions and could share their opinion :-)

Tks.

François

Monday, December 16, 2013 2:18 PM