Backup techniques in Azure. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

We are in the process of migrating SQL servers to Azure virtual machines (PaaS)
    and at the part of the planning where backups and backup technology we use are 
    being discussed.

The cloud team, who are comprised of infra engineers are telling me that we have
    to use "Azure Backup Server" (ABS) but I favour using native SQL and/or Ola Hallengren 
    to backup to blob storage containers, reason being backups can be inserted into 
    an agent task. 

It's a debate I'm losing if I'm honest. 

Anyone using this (ABS) technology who has a view on it, does it cover all backup scenarios 
    and is it straighforward to restore and also to resore a backup to a different instance (dev etc)? 

Any good reasons for using my approach over ABS? 

Thanks in advance. 

Thursday, January 19, 2017 11:17 AM

Answers

• Hi bartislartfast,

Azure Backup Server(ABS) is just a service for backing up, it will backup disk files of Microsoft workloads like SQL, SharePoint and Exchange. According to your description, I think what you want to say is what's the difference between backing up to blob storage with agent on Azure virtual machines and backing up to ABS.

You can refer to this article: Announcing VMware backup with Azure Backup Server to verify if you need the special service of ABS, if you just need backing up some backup files, you can choose blob storage.

Because this problem is more related to Azure, I suggest you posting this issue to Azure backup forum at https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/azure/en-US/home?forum=windowsazureonlinebackup

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Best Regards,
    Teige

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 26, 2017 7:19 AM
  • These two backup methods are different.

Microsoft Azure Backup Server -- Which does backup of everything including SQL Server database. You can schedule backup as regular maintenance plan and you can customize your schedule. It has the ability to take backups to disks as well as to cloud. However the interactions to the backup can happen only through the MBAS UI so practically you cant really do much with the backup files. For example if you need to restore the backup to a DEV server in on premise I don't think you have the flexibility to do it unless you have connectivity but still this will restore the db in uncompressed format where as the script method allows you copy the compressed backup to on premise server.

I would suggest to use Ola script and configure you backup strategy on top of this use MBAS to take file level backup of SQL backup files, this way you have freedom to work with the backup file and have the ability for long term retention.

Mark as ANSWER if I helped you today :-) www.sql-articles.com

Monday, January 30, 2017 3:36 PM

All replies

• Do you mean IaaS, if yes, ask for a test environment and perform backup/restore scenario tests.

Tests could include how ABS handles log shipping, database mirroring, AlwaysOn, Ad hoc backups, detach/drop, recovery model changes etc

Thursday, January 19, 2017 7:26 PM
  • Do you mean IaaS, if yes, ask for a test environment and perform backup/restore scenario tests.

Tests could include how ABS handles log shipping, database mirroring, AlwaysOn, Ad hoc backups, detach/drop, recovery model changes etc

Yes sorry, I do mean IaaS.  And I wonder if ABS is a  suitable replacement for native SQL (or Ola Hallengren) backups to blob storage?  

Good point about log shipping.  If we ABS can we still do log shipping? 

Friday, January 20, 2017 9:03 AM
  • As far as a I'm aware, ABS doesn't natively support log shipping, like many such backup products. Rather they backup the disk/blob SQL generated transaction log backups.

ABS can be used as basic replacement, but it is not suitable for all tasks i.e. log shipping, and is not as flexible or have as many backup options.

• Proposed as answer by Teige Gao Monday, January 23, 2017 6:39 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by bartislartfast Monday, January 23, 2017 9:28 AM
    Friday, January 20, 2017 6:19 PM
  • Does anyone know if there's a comparison chart between ABS and native SQL? 
    Monday, January 23, 2017 9:29 AM
  • Hi bartislartfast,

Azure Backup Server(ABS) is just a service for backing up, it will backup disk files of Microsoft workloads like SQL, SharePoint and Exchange. According to your description, I think what you want to say is what's the difference between backing up to blob storage with agent on Azure virtual machines and backing up to ABS.

You can refer to this article: Announcing VMware backup with Azure Backup Server to verify if you need the special service of ABS, if you just need backing up some backup files, you can choose blob storage.

Because this problem is more related to Azure, I suggest you posting this issue to Azure backup forum at https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/azure/en-US/home?forum=windowsazureonlinebackup

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Best Regards,
    Teige

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 26, 2017 7:19 AM
  • Thanks for the info.  I guess I'm looking for a comparison between ABS and native backups, along with anything that *won't* work with ABS such as log shipping. 

Saturday, January 28, 2017 3:25 PM
  • These two backup methods are different.

Microsoft Azure Backup Server -- Which does backup of everything including SQL Server database. You can schedule backup as regular maintenance plan and you can customize your schedule. It has the ability to take backups to disks as well as to cloud. However the interactions to the backup can happen only through the MBAS UI so practically you cant really do much with the backup files. For example if you need to restore the backup to a DEV server in on premise I don't think you have the flexibility to do it unless you have connectivity but still this will restore the db in uncompressed format where as the script method allows you copy the compressed backup to on premise server.

I would suggest to use Ola script and configure you backup strategy on top of this use MBAS to take file level backup of SQL backup files, this way you have freedom to work with the backup file and have the ability for long term retention.

Mark as ANSWER if I helped you today :-) www.sql-articles.com

Monday, January 30, 2017 3:36 PM