none
Multiple Item Form - Help Please RRS feed

• Question

• There are several aspects of MS access that I'm having a hard time accomplishing. Below is listed what I would like to accomplish and some relevant information. I would appreciate any help you can provide. 

1) Single input on multiple item form automatically fills in that field for all rows. 
    2) Multiple-item form row height to grow if input to long to display. 

Other challenges:
    1) Automatically filling in some fields with typing name rather than using a combo box.
    2) Front-end/Back-end access

Do I need to use visual basic or sql to accomplish this? 

Relevant Current Setup:
    Tables- Employees and Timesheets(Timesheets table has worker name as a combo box lookup, looking up from below query) 
    Query- With all required fields from above two tables
    Form- Timesheet Entry

• Edited by DevSloMo Tuesday, February 13, 2018 5:30 PM
    Tuesday, February 13, 2018 5:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You can use VBA to accomplish a lot of things, so it's definitely an option. SQL is mainly for manipulating data, so keep that in mind. You can also use VBA to execute SQL statements, so you may actually end up using both.

Just my 2 cents...

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 5:41 PM
  • 1) Single input on multiple item form automatically fills in that field for all rows. 

*** I don't fully understand what is meant; but when 1 field is linked to other fields - i.e. in the same row of a table - then using a combobox for selecting field 1 - you can design it to then bring in other fields of the same row into other fields of your form.  This does require a better understanding of Access design - not so much hard core vba coding.  For instance if your combo box is looking at an entire row of data (multiple fields) - only 1 is bound to that control.  The other fields can display in unbound text boxes:  =Combobox.column(2)

2) Multiple-item form row height to grow if input to long to display. 

*** a scroll bar will appear when the text is too long for the field's size - I don't think a form will auto adjust it's size although this will happen in a report object if you option for it.

Other challenges:
    1) Automatically filling in some fields with typing name rather than using a combo box.

*** this 'jump ahead' as you type is a standard behavior of the combobox - and so one doesn't need the selector button of the combobox, one can just type.  But to attempt to recreate this behavior without a combobox, in just a text box, will require strong coding skills.

2) Front-end/Back-end access

*** the link table management is very straight forward though I suppose it does require reading up via an instruction source to first learn what to do.

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 10:41 PM