USB mouse versus touchscreen detection RRS feed

• Question

• Our project uses a touchscreen for all input, but as a backup, when the device is in the field, if the touchscreen fails, the user could plug in a USB mouse to get by. Currently we turn off the mouse cursor, and after a lot of arguments with the sales end of the company, the cursor must stay off for aesthetics. If we do have a failure condition in the touch screen what I would like to know if somebody could point me to a code snippet (C#, VB, C++) that would detect the presence of the USB mouse being plugged in, so we could turn the mouse cursor back on. I have a doomed feeling that this may not be possible, but I thought I might ask. Possibly reading a USB port for the mouse id???
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 7:13 PM

Answers

• I meant you might get a better opportunity in the Windows CE newsgroups.

Please mark the post that helps you, and unmark that does not. This benefits our community members.
    • Marked as answer by Rspitzer Monday, October 5, 2009 3:25 PM
    Monday, October 5, 2009 3:37 AM

All replies

• Do you use a Windows CE device? I don't know how but I think there should be a way to detect it. I suggest that you go to the Windows CE newsgroups for help:

Windows Embedded Newsgroups
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsembedded/ce/dd424664.aspx
    Please mark the post that helps you, and unmark that does not. This benefits our community members.
    Friday, October 2, 2009 8:32 AM
  • I would not have asked the question if we were not developing on a windows CE device. We use VS2005, C#, windows CE 5.0. I understand the nature of the forums and how you guys want to make sure that specific questions pertain to specific forums. I thought this would be a good coding question, are you saying there is simply no way to accomplish this?

Friday, October 2, 2009 3:24 PM
  • I meant you might get a better opportunity in the Windows CE newsgroups.

• Marked as answer by Rspitzer Monday, October 5, 2009 3:25 PM
    Monday, October 5, 2009 3:37 AM